Yup, it happened, she fell out of the crib

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Buttercup1, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

Julia climbed/fell out of her crib today after she woke up from her nap. She bumped her head but she's ok. I am freaking out on what I should do. Or I should say, I know I should convert the crib to a toddler bed tonight but am so not ready for this!! I was hoping they would stay in the cribs for at least another year.

What are the alternatives really? Leave it like it is, tell her not to climb out and hope she learned her lesson? Not likely, right? Turn the crib around so that the higher side is on the outside? Then take the risk of her falling from higher? Get a crib tent? Throw pillows on the floor?

If I do convert her crib, should I convert her sister's? (they share a room) And if I convert one or both and they run wild all night then what? I have a child safety knob on the inside doorknob so they can't get out. If they are up all night and during their naps, should I just wait it out and see if they'll settle down or go in the room and try to reinforce staying in bed? Has anyone ever tried an reward system for staying in bed and have it work? Julia is such a daredevil, the kid has no fear. Her sister on the other hand is not so adventurous. Plus she's about the size of an 18 month old so I doubt she could even climb out if she tried.

Ugh, I do not want my little girls to grow up! I wish they could stay small and content in their cribs forever!

2. pigsocks

pigsocks Well-Known Member

We just made the move to big beds, but my girls are only 21 months old. They too share a room. Victoria climbed out of her crib,luckily we happened to be on our way to their room when she did it, so she didn't fall. Emily who is a daredevil had never made any attempt to climb out. I just switch them to a big bed and put a toddler rail on it, so if they rolled in their sleep they wouldn't fall out. My two can't open doors yet, so I just close it at night and they can get out. A friend used to put a slide lock on the outside of the door to keep his two in their rooms. It has gone fine only a couple of nights to convince them that they needed to stay in their bed.

Good Luck

3. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Glad she is OK after her fall!!

We just made the move as well (Thanksgiving Day). We were not ready for it either. We had hoped they would be closer to 3 before we had to make the move. DS learned to climb out. DD had not, but we decided to move them both to toddler beds at the same time. DD has done fine. DS has been a slight challenge. We have been sitting in his door way when we put him to bed until he falls asleep. He will still get up a couple of times. We just put him back to bed with no emotion and no talking (Supernanny approach). If he wakes up at night, we repeat the above.

It really hasn't been as bad as I had imagined. It isn't perfect, but it could be worse. :grouphug: Hugs to you. :youcandoit:

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know a lot of people swear by crib tents. Personally, I just put them in toddler beds and it works just fine for us. Of course their clothes are in totes right now, but one day we'll try putting them back in drawers.

5. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Sorry you had such a scare today!

We went the crib tent route and have been thrilled with the decision. I love the peace of mind of knowing that they are safe all night long... and they love their tents (they even help to zip them up each time!).

I think that when I convert to toddler beds, I will definitely do both kids at the same time, but whatever you think will work best for your family is what you should do, if you go that route.

Good luck!!

6. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

when my girls first climbed out, i turned out cribs around and that gave us 8 more months of crib time!!! i don't know how tall your girls are, but i'd try that first and just keep an eye on them. she may not even try. i was DEVASTATED to have to convert the cribs, but i had to this past sunday because one of my girls realized she could climb over the tall end, and i could just picture climbing out and falling on her head.

i put the cribs longways from the wall, facing each other, maybe 3 feet apart, and wrapped the play yard around them (and tied the play yard to the cribs). i thought they were able to climb out of hte playyard, but they haven't and so this at least keeps them contained and away from toys/the door/etc. just an idea!

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I'm glad she's ok. :hug: I certainly wasn't ready for it when it happened for us! Audrey climbed out twice in one evening! Of course Clayton was in the bedroom screaming because he couldn't get out of his. So, yes, we did convert both of them. The twins were about 2.5 years old when it happened. Evan is only 19 months but I fear it's not going to be too long before he figures out how to climb out!

8. caba

caba Banned

Mine climbed for the first time this summer, and we also went the crib tent route. Gosh I couldn't be happier! I agree though, if you are going to make the switch to toddler beds, do them together.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would have done the crib tents, if I could have found them. But we did toddler beds and the transition wasnt too hard, just a little patience trying. But it worked out fine. Glad she is okay.