Your wedding/engagement ring (would you upgrade)

Discussion in 'General' started by Chrissy Nelson, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I always hear people say that they would want a new or upgraded ring.  Just curious if you would ever replace yours? I personally would never do anything to mine.  Devon picked mine out, I had no say in it and I feel that it symbolizes us.  I think for me to change it would be kind of a slap in the face to him.  He always asks me if "it is enough" because it is not even close to as big as some of my friends rings.

Attached Files:

• ring.jpg
      ring.jpg
      File size:
      13.9 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  2. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

No. Mine is perfect. I have a plain old solitaire and band but I love it in its simplicity. It never goes out of style or looks dated.

ETA: mine isn't huge either - we were right out of college - but I don't care. It's worth a lot to me.

View attachment 6603

ETA (again): blurry because I cropped to fit here but you get the idea

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Chrissy, your ring is beautiful!

I've heard of people who upgraded and that's their choice.  I would not do it.  I love my ring, DH picked it out and I know he really worked hard on picking out the perfect ring, so since it is the one he gave me, it's one I would not replace.

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I wouldn't make major changes, but maybe for 10 or 15 year anniversary, I'd get another matching band for the other side of my engagement ring.
    They are saudered together.

ETA
    Mine isn't huge either. It's a vintage style and I love it. I picked out 3 or 4 that I like, and Chris choose between those. He did pick the one that I wanted the most though!

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd upgrade my engagement ring, but I did get my husband to buy me a different wedding band last year for our anniversary.   The ones we had were very man-ish in my opinion and I wanted something more feminine.    Plus my original wedding band doesn't fit very well after my last pregnancy and because of the material it's made out of I can't get it re-sized, so I wasn't wearing it anyway.

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, I love my rings. BUT, I hardly ever wear them either. My hands are *ahem* swollen (as in, swollen from the 20 lbs I have put on since getting married) and I can't sleep with them on, so I forget in the morning.

Edit: pictures. Not the best lighting on my engagement ring, but you get the idea.
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:2790]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:2791]

2 people like this.
  7. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Nope, I wouldn't upgrade mine! Not because I'm against it at all, but because Paul outdid himself on the first go-round. :)

Edit: My rings:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, I want to upgrade mine. :) I dont wear what he proposed to me with at all, I don't like the way it looks, and the rings that I picked out when we got married are dated and don't fit. I figure that I don't love him the exact same way as I did when we got married, our love has gotten more complex and grand and I think at least my ring should be more grand.

6 people like this.
  9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hell yes I'd upgrade. After almost 10 years of hard work I think I deserve a bigger stone than when we were 22 and in lust love with each other.

Don't get me wrong, I love my rings. And I would like to keep the same setting. But if Doug offered to get me a bigger diamond, I wouldn't say no.

I'd post a pic but I don't wear them to work very often. I have a princess cut with a lot of antiquing on the bands.

2 people like this.
  10. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I like that reasoning! Good analogy!

For the OP question though, no, I wouldn't want an upgrade. My engagement ring isn't the one he used when he proposed though. He used my paternal grandmothers ring, then we went and looked at rings together. I have a very simple platinum set. Both bands have small diamonds going around about halfway that are flush with the ring, and the engagement ring has the larger diamond set out from the smaller ones. I very rarely even wear the engagement ring because I don't like the diamond that sticks out - I'm always snagging it on things, or the ring twists and I stab myself with it.

I have a cousin that has an absolutely gorgeous set, with a huge diamond, and I can appreciate it's beauty and how much she loves it . . . but I have no desire to have anything even remotely close to that flashy. It's just not me. .

11. Chrissy Nelson

See I am the opposite way when it comes to rings, I enjoy more subtle ones.  I enjoy a nice large pair of earrings or a pendant necklace.  Devon did buy me a band with 3 large diamonds on it but it just sits in the safety deposit box because it is just too gawdy.

12. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I would. A few years ago, I switched from my wedding set to a simple white gold band. Long term, I'd like a new diamond to match. Maybe for 20-25.

Like others have said, we've been married for 15 years, worked hard, accomplished a lot. Why stick with the rings from when we were 20/21?

13. ECUBitzy

See, I would go gaudy in a SECOND. I love sparkly things. I sold jewelry all throughout college and just loooooove it.

This is my ring that I made with earrings and an ebay mounting. My mom bought the mounting and I bought the ($7) topaz for it. It's my mother's ring, as topaz is the girls' birthstone:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I'm totally the same as the bolded. I was just coming back to edit my post because I had gone and looked at the images you and Kim included. I was going to edit my post to say that my rings were very similar to yours. No surprise after reading the above. :)

15. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I guess I may feel differently if I didn't love what we picked way back then. I love mine as much today as I did when he first put it on my finger, maybe more.

Now, I would NOT turn down another ring if he wanted to surprise me with one. It just wouldn't be an upgrade to what I already have. It would be an addition.  :D

16. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  17. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

um - your ring is the spitting image of mine with the exception that I have 2 round stones next to my baguettes on the side!!!! 

as for upgrading, I did get an anniversary band to go with the plain gold band I had - however I can't wear them right now because I've lost 40 lbs and they fall right off.  I'm afraid when I peel gloves off at work I'll lose one so they're in my jewelry box

18. ECUBitzy

Women, get your rings sized! It only takes about a week and (typically) $30-60. Something so sentimental and valuable shouldn't be in your jewelry box.

(That was said with hands on hips in the same way I lectured my mother when I realized she was wearing a ring with tape wrapped around it still.)

3 people like this.
  19. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Uh-oh, am I supposed to have a jewelry box? I finally broke down and bought a ring holder in the shape of a giraffe a couple years ago. That was a major step toward organization already!

1 person likes this.
  20. ECUBitzy

Ha ha! If you got your rings sized it wouldn't matter. ;)

21. becasquared

[​IMG]
    My rings. When I say upgrade my ring, I want to incorporate these diamonds with the big emerald from the other thread. I would have to buy another small diamond because I cannot have it asymmetrical, that would drive me insane. So I want to take the green emerald as a centerpiece (it is a family piece), this diamond, another small diamond and make something.

2 people like this.
  22. ECUBitzy

You could do your oval set in the center (traditionally or in an east-west orientation) with a round on either side. Then use your twelve smaller stones for a band!

1 person likes this.
  23. becasquared

See, I knew you would figure it out!  That's perfect!  Hopefully next time you see me I'll have it made.  :D

24. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dh surprised me with resetting my ring for our 11 wedding anniversary .  I was glad he did because otherwise my ring was missing.  I had to stop wearing it since the setting was cracked.  I had already had the prongs replaced once.  Fun sitting in the jewelry store holding my diamond the whole time.  I had it in my ring holder in the kitchen cabinet.  I used to keep my ring holder in the kitchen because I usually take off my rings when i work with dough. 
    Here is the ring  in the new setting

2 people like this.
  25. Chrissy Nelson

That ring is the BOMB!!!

26. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I want to have mine reset.   I have a solitaire & would like to use the same diamond, just a different setting.  It sits a bit too high & I always feel like it is in the way, plus it doesn't really fit since I had the twins.  I have lost the weight, but my fingers are no longer the same, so it is sitting in a drawer. :pardon: I want it set into a wider band of either white gold or platinum (like I could afford that!), instead of the thinner gold band that I have now.

1 person likes this.
  27. ECUBitzy

[​IMG]
    Bex, any of these could be modified to work with extra side stones.
    The upper left and lower right are self explanatory.
    The upper right could have the side diamonds tucked in next to the oval before the shank joins and splits again.
    The lower left could have the larger rounds directly by the oval and then the smaller continuing.

28. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

My rings are exactly like Kim's only it's a marquis cut solitaire. I love it. It's perfect for me right now with having all of these boys running around anyway. It's symbolic of how we started out and I don't think I could let it go. Maybe I'll get something fancier when it's time to hand it down to one of our sons...? 

Everyone's rings are gorgeous! 

29. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

30. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I picked out my own ring, and I still love it.  I picked out the solitaire when we got engaged, and the wrap on our first anniversary.  DH has NO clue about jewelry, so I was very glad to pick out my own.  Almost 13 years later and I still love it.  A couple of years ago, I had to have it resized since I was 110 pounds when we got married (those days are LONG gone. :laughing: )

My mom has had her ring reset, mainly because a prong broke, so she decided to add two side stones to represent me and my brother.  I think if something like that happened to mine, I'd probably have it restored just like it is, though.

31. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I love mine.  It has an Emerald in the center (my favorite) and diamonds in the setting.  The band and setting are custom.  The one thing my DH could do right was design jewelry.  We have a local jewelry store with custom designs and makes jewelry.  I have my ring and two necklaces from there.  My DH would do a sketch and go to the store and talk it over and come up with a final design. 

32. Code

Code Well-Known Member

33. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All you ladies have beautiful rings!
    Bex, I love the ideas you have for your new ring!
    Stephanie, I just have to add that you would get along like a house on fire with my Mom and my sister in law.  Both of those ladies LOVE jewelry and  if I need advice, those two I would ask (and now I would add you).  My mom always lectures on the importance of getting your rings sized.
    My sister in law helped DH pick out my engagement ring and when he told me that, I was like, of course she did!  She was born for that kind of stuff and she always has beautiful pieces of jewelry.  

I said up thread I would not upgrade, but I'd never turn down another ring from DH.  Maybe when we hit our 25th anniversary, I would not mind a milestone ring.

34. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

I stopped wearing my wedding/engagement ring years ago.  It's yellow gold, and I don't like that anymore.  I looked into getting the diamonds reset into a white gold band, and it was going to cost over $500.  We'll never have that much extra money to spend on jewelry, so I bought a Diamonique set from QVC for $40.  I get compliments on it all the time.  No one even questions if it's real or not.

35. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wore my rings today. Let's see if I can figure out how to post photos of them. Doug designed both. I actually have the earrings and necklace that match the mother's ring. About a week after the girls were born, Doug got my parents to come over and babysit and we went to a quick dinner near our house. I was an emotional mess, and he pulled out the mother's ring during dinner. Really it's the girls birthstones on the sides and mine in the middle, but I really like it, so after Cooper was born I say it's blue in the middle for the boy and pink for 2 girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]