Your position at vaginal birth?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by TwinsItIs, Jul 10, 2011.

1. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

Hi moms! I hope to be joining you here in a few short weeks, but have a question that I assume many of you can answer. If you had a vaginal birth, what position were you in during delivery? Last time, I was flat on my back, due to needing constant monitoring/catheter/the works, and I'm sure it made things tougher. This time around, I hope that I'll have more leeway, but don't know a thing about what's the best position etc... What worked for you, what do you recommend? What would you do differently?

Thanks so much

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With the boys I was fairly flat...my head was up on 2 pillows and with Hannah I was more in a "reclined" sitting position. I didn't have problems either way but I will say that the reclined position with Hannah was much more comfortable and I didn't feel like I did hardly any work;) It could also be that I went in at 8cm and had her 3 hours later too!:)

Good luck!!

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was in a semi-reclined position for the girls, but I hated that. I would have preferred to be squatting (with the squat bar) or sitting on a birthing stool. With this upcoming baby, I'm planning on being in a birthing tub. The ideal positions for pushing are anything that opens up your pelvis, allows gravity to help you in your work, and leaves your tailbone free to flex in & out (side-lying can be a great option if you're tired or have an epi). :good: Also, changing positions every 20 minutes or so during pushing (if your pushing phase is a longer one) can help baby(ies) wiggle down through your pelvis. They have quite the dance to do, so being a little bit mobile can help them out. The absolute best thing though is to listen to your body - keep trying positions until you find the one that feels right. It will be the right one for you.

1 person likes this.
  4. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I was induced and it went relatively quick compared to my induction with DD1. From start to finish, it was 6 hrs. and I only pushed 2 times for A and 3 for B. I labored pretty much in the bed, reclined for the most part b/c I was being monitored. I delivered in the OR (just in case)pretty much flat, but I had lots of people kind of pushing my back up and legs up. It didn't bother me so much. With DD1, I walked around, got in the jacuzzi, etc. for awhile before I got my epi. She was a quick push too though once I got to 10 cm(23 minutes) but I also delivered in semi-reclined position. I think b/c I was induced, they needed to monitor more, therefore not being able to move as much. If you're not getting induced and hold off on the epi, you'll probably be able to move around and labor/deliver more the way you want.

5. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

For the twins I had an epi and was being monitored so I was lieing down. Not much choice in that for me. But for my others I was in a birthing pool on my knees, on all fours on the floor and for my breech baby I was standing. I agree with the others. Move as much as is comfortable. I walked and swayed constantly through my first three labours and just ended up in a good position for each birth. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Squatting!!! Baby A fell out when I went to use the bathroom :). If you can use a birthing stool do it!

GL!

7. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

Thank you.

8. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

For me I was in the bed because I was being monitored closely ( I was only 34 weeks and baby A had no fluid around her) however I couldn't lay on my back flat it was far to painful because of Baby B's position. I was able to turn on my side, sit up, recline etc. It was a PITA because they came in every 3 minutes because they had "lost" one of the twins or both so about the time they started the Pit they went on and broke baby a's water, or what was left of it, and put an internal monitor on her so I could be more comfortable in the bed. I also got an epi, mostly because I wanted it but the ob's pushed it because baby B was transverse and they wanted it in place in case they had to do a section on the fly after baby a was delievered. I also was taken to an OR when it was time to push just in case but Baby A was delievered with 3 or 4 pushes and 7 minutes later, mostly because I couldn't feel to push, after 3 pushes baby B was born.

My advice is if the twins are not breech, or if Baby A is not breech I should say, be your own advacate. If your babies are not in distress or super early be open and vocal with your OB about what you want and what you expect and how THEY can support you. It shouldn't be the other way around. Just keep an open mind and expect things to turn on a dime and be ready to roll with it. However from what I learned from my OB and my Highrisk, it is possible to have the delievery you want with twins just like with a singleton as long as you understand that you are not in charge the baby(s) are.LOL You may want a water birth where you can deliever on hands and knees and the baby coming out first may have a different plan. When they are out in the world they can play by YOUR rules but let them have this one LOL....

Whatever you decide to do or rather the babies decide for you I wish for you a blessed peaceful FULL TERM delievery. I know for me my twin delievery was MUCH more enjoyable than my singleton one because of the knowledge and the "let go let God" attitude I walked into the hospital with.

9. keirin

keirin Well-Known Member

On my back with my feet up in stirrups - I labored in the OR like a lot of other twin moms. It took FOREVER and I cursed the useless epidural (did NOTHING for me by the time I was pushing) which gave me no real relief but made it impossible for me to get up and walk like I wanted to. However, they do push epidurals in case of an emergency c section.