"your beer gut is getting bigger"

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by haleystar, Feb 7, 2009.

1. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

ok, i'm sure that this is pregnancy hormones but seriously i am getting highly aggrivated by people and their insensitive comments about my growing baby belly!

i posted a pic of my belly at 9 weeks and again at 11 weeks on myspace, with both pics showing significant growth in the lower abdomen. now i'm not overweight to begin with and i've struggled with body image issues my entire life so when i get a comment, joking or not, from my sister in law saying that it looks like i have a beer gut and that my beer gut is getting bigger it seriously makes me want to cry! i've already packed on 10+lbs and can't fit into my regular clothes (but still too small for maternity) so comments like that really upset me.

is this just overactive hormones or insensitivity?

ugh!

2. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

No I don't think ur over reacting. How about "u have a cute little bump" she probably thought she was funny, but its not, I can understand u being upset.

3. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

I would have smacked her round the head!! I would have been annoyed too if she had said that to me. You dont tell a pregnant woman they look like their beer gut has grown, thats just utter stupid!! Wether their joking or not its just very insensitive specially when the hormones are raging it makes it 100 times worse! Im sorry your SIL is insensitive and heres a big :hug: to make you feel better x

4. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I would have been upset. That transition phase from kind of looking like you are pg to actually looking pg is a hard one. But unfortunately it doesn't get better when you are close to delivery and huge, the comments don't stop. Even more unfortunate wait until you take the twins out and about the comments come around then too! Sorry

5. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

thanks guys. it's helps to know that i'm not just over reacting.

6. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

you are not over reacting, i would have been hurt too :hug: , just remember to tell her the same thing when she's preggers :p

7. avd1995

avd1995 Well-Known Member

Sorry your feelings were hurt :hug:

I would be uspet too! I am sure you look adorable! :D

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm sorry, that is very insensitive. :hug:

9. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

:hug: Pregnancy hormones never help situations like this, but that doesn't mean that it's appropriate for other people to make such comments. In fact, it is rather insensitive and rude! I am sure your belly is beautiful and just think about the gorgeous little one's growing happily inside you!

10. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

How insensative. You are at the stage where your depressed then happy and vice versa in a matter of seconds and comments like that make you wanna rip heads off. I remember when my BF made the comment I looked like I was having a baby elefant when I was about 5 months. I made a snooty comment about her looks and and she apologized not thinking that her comments hit a sore spot. :hug: Pretty soon you'll be fending the when are you due comments at 7 months lol