You talked me into it!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinboys07, Mar 20, 2009.

1. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

After reading everyone's thoughts about ISR, I decided to look into the cost of ISR in our area. I was astonished to see that it typically runs under $150 per week for BOTH kids around here. From what I hear, that's pretty low for ISR. I inquired with a bunch of instructors and found an established trainer who happens to have recently relocated from Tucson and is therefore offering a deep discount of only $50 per week per kid!!! I am so excited. I have wanted to do this for a long time but thought the cost would be completely prohibitive. It's still expensive, but not NEARLY what many other programs charge. We'll be sure to post some video from our experience! :)

2. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Yea! Erin.

I had to try really hard to control myself on the last post. ISR is not "swimming lessons" they are individual sessions so you pay the full instructor time rather than just a 6th of the instructor that you'd pay in a group lesson of 6 kids. It's also not about learning to swim, it's about learning to survive if something should go wrong, and it's not something you can teach your own kids (or any kid you have a previous relationship with really).

I'm sad that my own girls never got to go, since there aren't any instructors around here and I could not do it as their mother. Also, we aren't around the water that much as we are high enough in the mountains that the pools, which are all unheated, are COLD.

But I'm happy that the posts here on TS convinced you to do this for your kids!

3. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Please post and let us know how it goes! I've been pondering it with K&K...we weren't around water at all when Nadia was a baby, so she did the traditional swimming lessons starting at age 2, and now swims just fine at age 5.

But, if we're going to take her to the pool this summer, I have to somehow manage K&K, so I'm wondering if ISR is the way to go.

I'm a little hesitant, because a friend of mine did them with her 6-month-old in Florida, and she said it was traumatic for the baby, and she had to monitor what he ate, etc. -- the kid threw up a lot from swallowing so much water. And then, he "forgot" the skills about six months later. I don't know if this is the typical experience or not. I know we tried one week of survival swimming when Nadia was 3.5 (not ISR), and she DID completely learn how to swim in one week. She was also so freaked out that she refused to go anywhere near a pool for a full year afterward, and only last summer, at 4.5, was I able to talk her into regular lessons again, which we've kept up weekly throughout the year.

Anyhow. I'll be curious to read about your experience! If your guys do well, maybe it's something I need to do for K&K...

4. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

You will not regret it!!!!!

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Awesome! Let us know how the lessons go! I would love to able to sign my twosome up!

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Totally agree, you will not regret it!!

7. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

ok, i'm jealous. i mentioned in another post that i would love to have mine in ISR as well, but there are no locals, and to bring the instructor down here for 6 weeks (which his website said he would do) was just too much.

i realize that ISR is survival swimming, but i had a 2 1/2 yr-old cousin drown and i'm pretty traumatized myself :S

hope it goes great, don't forget to send us video.

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It is such a great investment, I wish we had an instructor that only charged $50/child!!

9. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

That's wonderful you are getting such a good deal! :Clap: Please post some pics later of swim lessons :).

10. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

Have fun!!

After all this talk I just looked it up for my area. There is one instructor & the fee was $70 a week, but there was a $135 registration fee. Too much for us.