xbox, wii, ps3?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by newmomma, Nov 22, 2010.

1. newmomma

newmomma Well-Known Member

We are considering a gaming station for xmas but I know nothing about them. What is the difference between the three and which is better for children? I like the idea of wii fit, do the others have that? I am looking for totally nonviolent, nonsexual games my kids can use without me needing to be there.

thanks
    Laurie

2. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I would recommend the Wii. I think they have the largest selection of games for younger kids, including a new "fit" type game for young kids. My son (almost 16), got the Xbox last Christmas and it seems like the more popular games for it are the violent, rated M or T, games. Wii has all kinds of Disney linked games as well. They also have games families can play together with different levels for different ages.

3. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I like the games for the Wii. They are geared more for younger children.We also have fun playing the family games. :) Although, X-Box has come out with the Kinect system and it looks really cool.

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Wii games on a whole are less violent and clean. We are getting a wii for Christmas. The red one is a good deal as it comes with a Mario game

5. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

Dh has an XBox. I never paid much attention to the games since only he played. This past year I went to rent a game for my 10 nephew to use and found that there wasn't much available. We have since added a Wii to the family collection and the girls are just starting to play on occasion.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We only have the Wii, so that is what I would recommend. But I agree, they have lots of games that have a wide variety of ages and they are interactive so you don't just sit down and play them. All of us enjoy playing the Wii.

7. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls love the PS3 eye motion games -eye pet and the party game. They ask to play that more than they ask to play the wii games.

8. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

From someone who used to work in the industry....
    Wii was created as a family game system. It is not top of the line for graphics or interface, but it is easy to play, and the games are geared toward kids and families.

XBOX is for a much more mature audience, although the new Kinects is being marketed to kids, and seems to me to be geared to taking some of Wii's market share.

Sony is a gamers system. It is geared more to the teen to 20 something males. It has its pluses, but I think it is going to slowly disappear. Here is a inside secret, Walmart recently reduced their Sony (ps3, ps2 and psp) game cases by nearly half. Those cases went to Wii, and a few added one XBOX case. This I know because of my job, but I have also noticed some other game sellers going in the same direction. Sony's shelf space has been reduced while Wii has increased and XBox has increased slightly or stayed the same.

I agree with the bundled red Wii system as a good buy, you can't go wrong with Mario! Some of the other games out recently include Elmo and Cookie Monster, Hello Kitty, aw shoot, I haven't been in the store for a while, I'm forgetting all the new releases. LOL.