WWYD?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ECUBitzy, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Alexis ran a low grade fever all weekend but, besides some lethargy and a bit of a cough, she's been acting herself. I even took her out to the beach on Saturday figuring that the salty air might clear her head. She still has a persistent fever of 99-101.

This morning Samantha threw up within 30 minutes of being up. No other symptoms and totally normal behavior otherwise.

Paul stayed home with them today.

How long to keep them out of school? Should I take them to the ped?

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always go by the 24 hours fever free rule. If she declines I'd take her to ped to make sure she doesn't need antibiotics. Hope she feels better soon!!!

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our doctor usually wants to see them if they've had a persistent fever more than 5 days as that is more typical of an infection than a virus.

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I had hoped that the season of plague might start later this year. Sigh. So, no school tomorrow? I was thinking about sending them, so thanks for the shake!

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I tend to go by how they act, especially with a low fever like that.  I'd probably send them tomorrow if there's no more puking and her temp doesn't go up, as long as they are acting fine.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Up here for us, we go to the doctor  with 3 days with a fever that won't go away, or 4 days with a fever that keeps popping back up.  Like I took Royce to Urgent Care yesterday because he's had a fever since Thursday night, even with Ibuprofin and Tylenol, it never went below 100.8.  But as for school, I'm home with both of them today, Royce had a fever when he went to bed last night, fever's gone today, but he's barking when he coughs and the doctor thinks he still has strep from three weeks ago.  Alice is home because she was running a wicked fever last night (103.7 in a kid that doesn't really run high fevers).  This plague sucks.  If Alice runs the same course as Royce, she will have a fever for four days total, and start coughing hard on day 3. 

Royce pukes when he gets congested with a chest cold/bronchitis.  That might be something to keep in mind. 

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't send them back to school until they have been fever and puke free for 24 hours.  Only because fevers can come & go and often they will wake up without a fever in the morning but it goes back up in the afternoon & meanwhile I would have just exposed an entire classroom full of kids to a contagious child.  

That being said, I know parents who will give them some Tylenol & send them to school, saying, "well, she had a fever when she woke up, but I gave her Tylenol & she doesn't have one any more."   :faint:

For fevers, I usually go with the three day rule & take them in to the doctor after that.

Hope they both recover quickly!! :hug:

Yours, too, Bex!   :hug: