"Wow, you're HUGE!"

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by irrelevancy, Nov 12, 2010.

1. irrelevancy

irrelevancy Well-Known Member

It's happened. All along people have mostly commented on how small I am, especially for twins. But I'm pretty tall (5'9") with a long torse so I figure the babies have more room. In the past week or two, people have started commenting on how HUMUNGOUS I am, or how I must be about to go into labour any day now. At my last appointment I was measuring 38 weeks. And I'm not due until January. Late January. That equals many weeks of strangers commenting on my size (which in any other situation would be vastly inappropriate but is somehow acceptable when a woman is pregnant...?)

When did people start commenting on your size and how you must be about to pop?

2. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

Well, I can't say that I got any "huge" comments. I was quite small for having twins. However, do you have a "having twins" shirt?! Also, if random people ask, just tell them right off the bat "I'm having twins....thats why my belly is so big". I agree though, in any other situation that comment would come with an automatic slap, but for some reason being pregnant means its ok to say such things?! IDK!

3. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

My due date was Jan 20th last year and the comments started right around 30 weeks for me too. I am also tallish (5'7"), have a long torso and am slim so I hid them very well for quite a while. I was measuring 38 weeks at week 30 so I think that's when I really started to "pop". People would look at me and say I must be due any day now and I would say "not for 2 months"...sometimes I would elaborate, other times I would just look at the reaction and move on :)

4. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am small-ish, and I popped early and just grew and grew!!
    I used to get a kick out of walking past people and then turning around to watch their reactions!! :woah: it was funny to me! :rotflmbo:
    At 27weeks I was called for jury duty and they asked me if I was going to be going in to labor with in the next couple days :rolleyes:

5. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

[quote name='E's 3' date='12 November 2010 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1289608177' post='1721114']
    My due date was Jan 20th last year [/quote]

I meant to say this year...although it does seem like a long time ago ;)

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

By 28 weeks it was crazy... HERE is 22 weeks or so... I wasn't 6 months yet. Despite being tall, I knew something was up before I found about they were twins- I wanted maternity pants at 8 weeks. :pardon:

7. SaraSatin

SaraSatin Well-Known Member

My poor coworker is just 34 weeks and looks way overdue. I think I'll start smacking people for her if they keep making size comments, which started early as she's naturally thin and shorter.

I'm just under 4'10"... I don't even want to imagine what I'm going to hear soon! My uterus is already at my belly button! So far people are saying I look good but it's probably because I lost 35 pounds before this pregnancy so I'm still smaller than I was even with popping at 10 weeks.

ETA: My coworker is just having one very large looking little boy.

8. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

At about 28 weeks I was at Target with my 2 1/2 yr old and this lady told me "I could give you a pin and you could pop yourself" I smiled and kept walking, my DD looked at me and said "why are you going to pop mommy?" The things people will say!!

9. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

I think people started commmenting when I was about 26-28 weeks. I am tall also, so at first everyone said I looked so small to be having twins. I remember going to church once, and the usher asked if I needed to have a doctor in the church while I was there! Another time leaving after my doctor apptmt, I was in the elevator, and a lady commented to her friend that she was glad I wasn't going home with her! Well, me too lady!! Sheesh!

When people asked my due date, I would just say we are having twins, so we probably won't make it that long! (which we didn't - they were 5 weeks early)

Hope all goes well for you!

10. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I remember getting comments starting in Jan/Feb. I was matron of honor for my friend in the middle of February and people were worried I would go into labor during the ceremony. :laughing: I was due mid-April and the twins were born the first week of May.

11. ChaoticMum

ChaoticMum Well-Known Member

I think I was around the 33wk mark when people started commenting on my size. But that was compared to what I looked like at 33wks with my singltons - living in a small town we really don't go far from home and everyone knows me so I was spared a LOT of comments. I don't have any on here from later on, but this was 27wks.

Now looking back I can't believe we didn't figure it out sooner about the twins...
    27wks

12. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The comments started early for me.. the weekend before my first ultrasound my best friend told me flat out.. you look too pregnant, you're having twins, I'll give you my double stroller :p

Then at 7.5 months I had to be a bridesmaid in my other best friend's wedding. I was even too big for my maternity dress. Now every time I see people who were at my friend's wedding they have to comment about how HUGE I was.. 2 years later! Sheesh.

13. Adding 2 more!

Adding 2 more! Well-Known Member

I am only 5'2" and was told early on it would be hard for me to carry twins. I have a girl at school that is as big as I am and she is having one...now...I am really starting to grow faster than before and it is noticable! Im sure Ill be getting comments soon! Im almost 22 weeks.....

14. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

At about 24 weeks I started to get the "your huge" comment as well as the "any day now!" comment!

I LOVED telling people, "Actually, I'm not due for 4 more months," and watching them [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. aquickworld

aquickworld Well-Known Member

I started getting the comments a few weeks ago and just the other day at Walmart the checkout girl asked when I was due and when I told her she had this stunned look on her pace and her mouth was hanging open. And then she said WOW! you still have a long ways to go, that is when i just said i'm having twins! and grabbed my stuff and left the store. I know it's only going to get worse! I'm glad we have each other on here to vent to. :headbang:

16. jenm978

jenm978 Active Member

I'm just the opposite. I'm also tall - about 5'9". At my last OB appt at 33 weeks I was measuring 39 weeks. No one can believe I have twins in here, although I feel huge. Both babies were measuring ahead at my last growth scan - one was 5 days ahead and one 7 days ahead, so I know my size is not attributed to small babies.

17. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

I've been getting this comment for about 2 weeks but more so the last week esp (I'm 26 wks). I am a very slender build (105 pre preg, 5', 5 1/2") and thankfully my family only seems to grow in our tummy and no where else. lol. So it looks quite odd that we are pencil thin and from behind don't look pg, then we turn around and it's WHAM!!! Big huge basket ball belly.

But unlike some, I love this comment! lol..... I have a harder time gaining weight due to my fast metabolism, so I love each lb I gain!!! :D

I am as big now (and some say bigger) at 6 months, then I was with my DD when I was delivering her! and I still have 3 months to go.

BUT, I should also mention that people who don't know me -- think I am "small" for twins... and that I find SUPER ANNOYING and frustrating!!!!! They expect you to not be able to walk through a door or something! lmao!

18. j08w

j08w Well-Known Member

I am 60" tall and was 58" around!

19. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I think it was july when people would ask, "Any day now"? And I would say "I hope not, I still have at least 2 months to go". Our twins were born on Sept. 3rd. It was annoying before though when they would say- are you sure it's twins? You look too small for twins. As if I was able to control how big my stomach was getting. It was making me feel as if I wasn't eating enough or something. I had "morning sickness" the whole pregnancy, 24 hours a day and I was mainly eating fruits and... of course, icecream!!!! I was meaasuring ahead all the time, I am 5'6" and I gained 38 # total, most of it was in my stomach and boobs.

Towards the end, my stomach was huge. I was so thankful that I was so big in the summer because I was wearing summer dresses and sandals that slide on the foot. I feel for you those who are in your third trimester in this weather. I think it would be such an effort to put socks on, jeans and boots.

Happy New Year!!!