Worried that I may have HELLP syndrome

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by HollyP, Sep 25, 2009.

1. HollyP

HollyP Well-Known Member

I had my 24 week appointment and ultrasound yesterday. The great news is that baby A with the SUA umbilical problem is looking fine, and both babies are growing well.

However, some of you may recall I had pancreatitis two weeks ago and a short stay in the hospital. This week I had abdominal pain on my right side, and my peri had me come in for some bloodwork. I returned to work that day, but he called three hours later and asked me to go to L&D triage for more testing, because my liver panels were elevated.

I had toxemia with my first pregnancy at 35 weeks, so the word "toxemia" brings a lot of fear with it to us. But after some testing, they discharged me that night, and said they thought it might be related to my bile duct - since my gallbladder was removed in 1998.

I went for the the peri appt yesterday and saw the third peri in the practice. He ordered a boatload of tests. Made me even more nervous, because we're testing for a lot of serious things, and he kept saying he was trying to rule out HELLP syndrome. So far I have liver enzyme issues, abdominal pain, and a slight tendency to anemia. All can be sympomatic of HELLP, so I'm praying will all my might, my platelet count is ok. He's also ruling out Hep A,B,and C, with these tests.

To make matters worse, the nurse performed a urine catheter when I was in triage, and it left me with a bad UTI - lots of blood in my urine, and lots of pain. I'm now on Keflex to handle it, which I'm sure will mean I'll be stuck with a YI next.

I guess I'm just a little stressed about my own health, and that something might lead to taking these babies way too early..... I needed to get this off my chest :(

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: It sounds like a lot of stress right now, Holly. I hope you are resting and taking it easy. I am thinking good thoughts for you and your babies. Please keep us posted with any results you receive.

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When will you get the results of your tests? I developed HELLP with the twins. The only indicator symptom was the upper abdominal pain. I had no bp issues and no swelling at all. The blood tests done in the hospital showed my platelet count to be at 40,000 (had to be 90,000 to deliver). I was at 37+ weeks when this was discovered so I delivered via emergency c/s that day after two platelet transfusions. Try not to worry too much, but do call and follow up on your tests this afternoon. :hug: Sounds like you are having a lot of stress, hope the tests come back showing no HELLP.

4. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

What an ordeal.... I am so sorry that you are having to go though this. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:hug: Wow, you are dealing with alot. I hope that you get some results and answers soon.

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

:hug: :hug: :hug: You are in my thoughts and prayers :hug: :hug:

7. HollyP

HollyP Well-Known Member

Quick update - I did not get any calls from the peri on Friday. I'm going to take this as a good sign, because if the blood panels had shown something bad, I know they would have had me go into L&D triage again for monitoring. So I'm going to try to get through this weekend thinking as positive as I can!

Thanks for the support!