worried - i have food poisoning

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mhouse, Feb 9, 2007.

1. mhouse

mhouse Well-Known Member

so it turns out 8 people in my office got sick after eating a common lunch...

i've had diarrhea since tuesday and it hasnt stopped, i'm able to eat and drink, but i'm having it 2-3 times a day...

i saw my gp and called my ob and they said that it's not hurting the babies...it's hard for me not to worry, b/c everyone in my office has gotten better except me...

anyone have experience with this or advice for me? i'm driving myself crazy with worry...

2. mhouse

mhouse Well-Known Member

so it turns out 8 people in my office got sick after eating a common lunch...

i've had diarrhea since tuesday and it hasnt stopped, i'm able to eat and drink, but i'm having it 2-3 times a day...

i saw my gp and called my ob and they said that it's not hurting the babies...it's hard for me not to worry, b/c everyone in my office has gotten better except me...

anyone have experience with this or advice for me? i'm driving myself crazy with worry...

3. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

I would say if both your gp and your ob aren't worried -then you can stop worrying. I know it's difficult, but, think about this: do you TRUST them? Do you grant them the authority to have medical knowledge that you don't? IF yes, then your worry is just making you crazy.

I would ask them what you should do - are there binding foods you can eat (bananas, certain carbs, etc..?) I also found that eating dairy gave me terrible diarrhea, since apparently lactose intolerance is easy to develop, so if you are doing that, try cutting out the milk and dairy products for a day or two and see if that helps.

Good luck.

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I agree with Jordari -
    I know it is impossible not to worry - but try not to
    to much - that will make things worse. Bless your heart,
    I had a very bad virus at 8 weeks - diarrhea, vomiting and
    it lasted longer w/ me than it did with any of my family -
    it lasted 10 days with me. I don't know if being pregnant
    makes yuky things linger longer or what but I can tell you -
    I was very sick much longer than my other kids were - they were fine in 2 days - it took me 10!!

bananas, rice, applesauce and toast are what they told me to try - they are all binding!

I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!!!

5. mhouse

mhouse Well-Known Member

thanks ladies - i talked to the ob again - she said just follow the diet that i'm eating and that the babies are ok...she did say it would take longer in me b/c i'm pregnant...i have to bring in my stool sample and we'll go from there...

6. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I hope you get better soon!

Reyna

7. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

I'm sorry- I had food poisoning once and it was the only time in my life I truly wished I were dead. IT IS TERRIBLE. Having said that, babies make it with mamas who have morning sickness the whole pregnancy. Keep taking your vitamins, drinking gatorade or whatever you can hold down, and they will take what they need from you even if it means breaking into your stores.