Worried about what to do

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by j_and_j_twins, Jul 26, 2008.

?

Would you let them stay at their old school

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

We've put an offer in on a house and if all goes through we will be moving end of september into a different school area.

I believe we can stay at their present school with permission. My gut is telling me to keep them their, they will be going into Senior Kindergarten and already are talking about looking forward to going back to friends etc.. Even though they are only 5 I still don't think its fair to switch them to another school without saying goodbye to friends etc..

On the down side, I would have to drive them about 20 minutes across town every dayto school and pick them up (which I can do with my work schedule). It will be fine now, but we have very bad winters so it could be a longer drive december to march.

I was thinking if I did it for this year then for grade 1 switch to the new school. Or should I just do it and they will adapt?

thanks everyone for your input.

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I would switch the schools. It will be easier for them to make friends in the neighborhood if they are in school with them. They are young enough that the transition shouldn't be too hard. Kids move all the time, and everyone loves the "new" kid. I think it would be harder on them to stay in the school and move, because that would make the transition the following year that much harder.

3. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

My parents moved when I was halfway through K. It was not a problem. (We moved 200 miles away to a different city.) They moved again halfway through 4th grade. That one was tougher. Young kids adapt quickly and easily. I would just go ahead and move them, especially if it means avoiding winter-driving risks.

4. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

QUOTE(rubyturquoise @ Jul 26 2008, 06:14 AM) [snapback]897344[/snapback]
    My parents moved when I was halfway through K. It was not a problem. (We moved 200 miles away to a different city.) They moved again halfway through 4th grade. That one was tougher. Young kids adapt quickly and easily. I would just go ahead and move them, especially if it means avoiding winter-driving risks.

I agree. We moved all the time. Everyone loves the "new kid" at a certain age. The older they get, the less likely. Goodness, I went to 4 different high schools!

Kids make friends easily. Since they have already been away from them all summer, the transition will be fine. A & C start a new school this fall with all new kids, it'll be fine! :hug99:

5. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

thanks everyone for your input. Its hard to think logically when the mommy guilt kicks in.

6. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

QUOTE(j&jtwins @ Jul 26 2008, 09:09 AM) [snapback]897549[/snapback]
    thanks everyone for your input. Its hard to think logically when the mommy guilt kicks in.

:hug99: I think we've all been there!

Think of it this way, unlike singletons that move (like I was) they will also have eachother. To them that is the greatest bond.

7. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I know how that guilt is and I think we can often go overboard trying to protect our kids from everything--I know I do anyway! I would be like you and be thinking of driving them and keeping them at the same school, but I do think it would be better just to put them in the school close to the new house. They will adjust and the drive would become wearing on everyone, especially in the winter. It just makes the day that much longer. And then, having to deal with playdates with kids from the old school means more driving. Making new friends close to their new house will be the best all around in the long run. When I was in 4th grade, I had to switch schools due to rezoning and I don't even remember it really. I know my best friend ended up being someone from the new school, so it must have gone okay. I think your girls will adapt with minimal issues and you can play up the fun and adventurous part of all of it.

8. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

For me at their age I wouldn't worry about the friends. My DS has been in 5 different schools and was homeschooled one year. I am most concerned about the school itself. The school my kids are currently attending has very good ratings in Ontario as compared to the other schools in the district. So if we ever moved, I would be hesitant to change schools based on the schools and not their friends.

9. Tracy-mom to twin boys

Tracy-mom to twin boys Well-Known Member

I would change schools right in the beginning of the year. I think it would be harder to leave the school after being there for an entire year and establishing friendships and then starting in a new school where the kids spent the whole previous year together. This way they'll be attending the school that all of the other kids in the neighborhood go to. Good luck!!!

Tracy
    Mom to Griffin & Alex :itwins_boys:
    03/14/02 34wks

10. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I say switch them, they will make new friends. I felt bad because we moved between K and 1st grade. But, the girls made friends right away.

11. Anna3

Anna3 Well-Known Member

We moved the boys before the first grade, they made new friends really fast. At this point I would just switch schools to avoid that longer daily commute.

12. Jberman

Jberman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Tracy-mom to twin boys @ Jul 26 2008, 12:52 PM) [snapback]897716[/snapback]
    I would change schools right in the beginning of the year. I think it would be harder to leave the school after being there for an entire year and establishing friendships and then starting in a new school where the kids spent the whole previous year together. This way they'll be attending the school that all of the other kids in the neighborhood go to. Good luck!!!

Agree with this statement

13. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

I would switch them now.