Worried about preeclampsia second time

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by chenkel, Apr 19, 2007.

1. chenkel

chenkel New Member

Hi, I am new to this site. I am 9 weeks pregnant with twins. This is my second pregnancy. I have a 17 month old at home. I am worried about preeclampsia with this pregnancy. I had preeclampsia with my first pregnancy and was hospitilized at 30 weeks and delivered at 36 weeks. Do you guys think I need to worry about preeclampsia. My doctor says we will just have to see how it goes. Wondering if anyone else has had preeclampsia more than once?

2. stbmo4

stbmo4 Well-Known Member

I can't tell you not to worry, because we all worry about something. I don't know the circumstances of your pre-e, but I was pre-e with my first preg and had no problems at all in my 2nd pregnancy; none so far this time. Apparently pre-e is much more common in first pregnancies. My mom had it with me (I'm oldest) but not with her two others.

I hope you get some good info and peace of mind here, there are lots of girls here who have more experience than me with this.

Jennifer

3. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

Multiple gestations and a history/family history of pre-e are both risk factors for developing pre-e now, but it's not a guarantee. Your doc is probably right about having to see how it goes, but I hope you can bypass that fun road this time. congratulations and good luck :)

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

I have had it more than once, thankfully it did not progress, before I delivered. Good luck and try not to focus on the things that are out of your control(I know it's hard!)...make sure you are getting plenty to eat, drink, and rest, rest, rest. Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to TS!

5. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Well it may not happen but you need to be aware that the #1 cause of pre-eclampsia is having a history of it. Another high risk factor is a multiple pregnancy. But there are people who never get it again after the first time. I had it and delivered with my son at 27 weeks. My twins with very good care, modified bedrest from 10 weeks on, and strict from about 22 weeks, hospitalized at 29 weeks. We did manage to hang on until 32 weeks which was great given my history. Have you been to www.preeclampsia.org ? Its a great site that is dedicated to finding a cure. There is a lot of support there as well as here. I will be praying you dont get it again :hug99: