Wondering about ultrasound..

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mannanichole, Oct 26, 2009.

1. mannanichole

mannanichole Active Member

I just tested positive, and I'm guessing I'm around 5 weeks along. Will the doctor give me an ultrasound asap, to find out if I'm having another set of twins?

2. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

usually you will have one in the first 12 weeks that they call a "dating scan". This will determine how far along you are as well as how many there are :)
    Then you will have your anatomy scan between 18-22 weeks. Otherwise (unless there is a concern/reason) you will normally only have 2 with a normal singleton pregnancy.

:hug: Congrats!!!!

3. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! I pushed for an earlier u/s with this pg to check for twins and they did one at 7 weeks (any earlier than that and it's too early to see heartbeats). I was glad they did an early one because we're having twins again! And it never hurts to ask. Many drs will schedule your first appt at about 10-12 weeks unless you ask for an earlier one. Good luck!

4. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I knew I was pregnant before I even took the test and called pretty much right away to schedule my first appointment. I was very eager for an ultrasound, but our office doesn't see patients until you are 8-10 weeks along unless you had or are having issues. My first ultrasound was done at 8 weeks and then I had the anatomy scan at 18 weeks. I'm pretty sure they won't be doing anymore ultrasounds unless there is an issue. We get spoiled with all the ultrasounds during a twin pregnancy! :) Congratulations!

5. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

I had an ultrasound done at my 11 week appt b/c one, she was having a hard time finding her heartbeat and two, I was measuring large, so we just wanted to make sure there was only one. And then had another one at 19 weeks when we found out the gender. My dr. told me I'd have another one 32 to 34 weeks to see how big she was. :)

6. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

Congrats :) My OB did the first ultrasound at 8 weeks for dating, heartbeat, and to make sure how many there were. I'd give them a call and let them know you've had twins and what is the earliest they'll get you in for an ultrasound. You might be surprised - maybe they'll get you in early. :)