Winter coats in the chilly (ok frigid) northeast?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by carrie-, Oct 12, 2010.

1. carrie-

carrie- Well-Known Member

I'm having such a hard time with this...

What kind of winter coat will you put on your LOs for the very very cold winter? I've read horror stories about puffy "snowsuits" and kids sliding out of them in car accidents... I'm not sure what to do. Are puffy-ish fleece type outfits OK? Am I over-reacting?

Need advice, it's going to get cold up here in NY soon!

Thanks!

2. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I am in New England. It gets coooold. I use thin fleece in the carseat. LLBean has thin fleece snowsuits and Old Navy has thin fleece jackets. If it is really cold. I wrap them in a fleece blanket or pull on a warmer coat/vest after I remove them from the car seat. I myself wear a thin fleece in the car too, and then I can blast the heat for them. You can also place a blanket over the car seat (after buckling them in) or place their coat on backwards after buckling them in. They also sell car seat ponchos which are safe because they go over the seat, but i think using a blanket is just as easy.

Yeah, going anywhere in winter is a pain with twinfants!! I'm probably going to get them puffy vests from old navy that i can just throw on top of their fleece for when we get out of the car to go in the store. And then have an extra set of very warm coats that I store in the car.

3. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

My babies are 20 months old. Last winter we used the thin LL Bean snowsuits and those worked well. I was just talking with my husband the other day about what we will do this year. I think we'll use thin fleece jackets and then bring their puffier winter coats in the car to put on then when we get out of the car if we'll be out more than a few minutes. I definitely thin is the way to go..plus when you have the heat on they will be toasty. I think they get too hot with the bulky coats in the car in addition to the safety reasons.

Shannon

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We have the LL Bean coats that are super thin but supposed to be warm to something like 10 below. I think those will work. We live in Virginia, so we have cold spells, but not as much as in the Northeast.

5. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

Thin fleece and maybe a BundleMe for the seat would keep them quite warm.

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well, you are not supposed to use snowsuits/jackets, etc in their carseats. You are essentially strapping in the snowsuit, does that make sense? When we went out and about, I warmed the car up first(parked in my driveway), and put them in a sweatshirt or sweater-something warm. I would strap them into their seat and then cover them up with blankets. We never had any issues about being cold, etc.

7. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto this...we also used socks on their hands as gloves and put hats (sometimes 2) on their heads:) We were never outside for very long with them either though!

8. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I always buy thinner jackets and sweat shirts I can layer with the kids. When they were babies I had a thin fleece snowsuit. I still have the one but will need to buy another now that I have two babies. The only time we use the thicker puffy jackets are when we play out in the snow or will be outside for some reason. Sometimes I will carry them in the van just in case. We are usually never outside in the cold too long so them being in their fleece jackets/snow suits is okay. I get them in the van and when it's really cold cover them with fleece blankets. I blast the heat at first to get it toasty. I am thinking for the twins I am going to buy the covers that go over the infant seat for when it gets really cold. I had one of those for my son when he was born and it was awesome. I could put him in thin jacket and he would be quiet toasty.