William's eye appointment

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jenn-, Sep 27, 2007.

1. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Last week or so I posted about thinking about going to the eye doctor with WIlliam. Well I decided to go ahead and go with him this week. He just seems very clumsy for his age, and I have actually seen the boy walk into walls and parked cars in parking lots. Turns out I was right to take him in. Most children are tested as farsighted to some degree until they are 12ish, if they show signs of nearsightedness before that age there is a really good chance they will always be nearsighted and it will just get progressively worse until early adulthood. Needless to say William is already nearsighted, so he has no hope. Right now he is only testing slightly nearsighted (about a -.75) and since his world is mainly an armlength away right now, the dr didn't want to put him in glasses yet. If he was going to preschool this year and having to read from a black board he would have suggested them. He wants to see him back in a year before we stick him in preschool. Hopefully he won't progress quickly like I did (but i was much older when I got glasses). As Nathan doesn't seem to be as clumsy I didn't have him tested yet, but will next year when they all will be due for a checkup.

2. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Poor baby!! I know exactly how he feels. I am blind as a bat and have been wearing glasses since I was about 3 years old. Moved up to contact when I was about 8 or 9. I don't really remember, but my mom said that it was hard on me wearing glasses. Glad the dr. can hold off a little while!

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Glad you went with your "Mommy gut" and took him in. I got glasses at about age 5 and hated it, I was made fun of in school. I got contact at 11. Although I do think now it is much more acceptable for kids to wear glasses and many more do.

4. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Jenn, I am glad you took him in to be tested. Obviously your instinct was telling you something and now you can work to get the problem corrected. :hug99:

5. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

I'm glad you took him in. I was 8 or 9 when I got glasses but I think I needed them earlier than that. I remember what a massive difference it made when I finally got them! I'm sure my mom would feel bad if she understood. Anywho...way to go with your mommy gut.

6. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Poor little guy! At least you can wait a little bit on the glasses.

7. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

At least you got some answers. Hopefully he will progress slowly. I'm nearsighted as well. My first prescription was for -.75 too, but I was 16. They have so many cute frames these days that I'm sure he will look adorable when you decide to get him some.