Will you get your child a flu shot this year?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Trishandthegirls, Sep 30, 2008.

?

Will you get your child a flu shot this year?

1. Yes, whatever version my pediatrician carries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but I'll only allow the non-Thimerosol version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how those of you with children aged 1 - 4 will handle the flu shot this year. Will you get your kids the shot? Will you only get the shot if you can find the non-Thimerosol version? Will you not get the shot?

Why or why not?

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We're getting the nasal spray this time and it's Thimerosol-free. It's only available for those over 24 months but YAY for no shot!

3. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

I've never gotten my children the flu shot/mist, and they have made it through with minimal illnesses, never the flu. (Knock on wood) I had never had it either, but Im working in a hospital (nowhere near the sick people) and they offer it to us. So, I got it last year and this year.
    I dont even know what thimerosol is... ?

4. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

I chose other. I will not go out of my way to get them a shot. But if they offer it when we go and get their shots.. I probably will do it.

5. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Yep...they are scheduled later in October to get it. I believe my ped carries the "preservative-free" vaccine which has only trace amounts of thimerosal.

6. jultaria

jultaria Well-Known Member

Last year my pediatrician's office wouldn't even tell us if they had a thimerosol free shot, they actually played dumb when we called and went in person to ask if it was available. We skipped it last year. We have had all of the other required shots.

The nasal thing is too new and I'd rather not try it.

7. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

The boys got theirs last week, but I won't be getting one. I'm not sure if that's counter productive, but I've never had the flu shot and won't start now.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All of us will get a flu shot this year, we all do every year. The kids will all get Thimerosal free shots.

9. caba

caba Banned

Mine had it last year and will have it again this year. I will get it as well.

10. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

QUOTE(debid @ Sep 30 2008, 04:59 PM) [snapback]1004959[/snapback]
    We're getting the nasal spray this time and it's Thimerosol-free. It's only available for those over 24 months but YAY for no shot!

Ditto, I'm glad it doesn't have to be a shot this year. I am getting mine too, last year I never did and I got the flu bad, right on Easter and for their birthday. :(

11. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence. Last year, I ordered the thimerosal-free shot for Nadia, and when we got there, the ped informed us that those shots were only being given to children younger than 3. <_<

I don't know much about the mist -- need to research that.

For my little ones, if I can get the thimerasol-free shots, I'll lean toward getting them. We need to be careful with Kevan getting any respiratory illness.

But, I know the shots aren't fool-proof, and I've heard the CDC sort of "guesses" many months beforehand on what the prevalent strain of flu virus might be that year. No clue how accurate that is, but it's not comforting....I did read an article that said they completely missed the mark last year.

So, on the fence...

DH and I usually get the shots, but I wish we could get the thimerasol-free ones for ourselves, too.

12. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

No shots here for the kids or us.

13. Mia D

Mia D Well-Known Member

Shots for everyone in my household, and I pay for the nanny to get one as well.

Best,
    Mia

14. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(summerfun @ Sep 30 2008, 05:44 PM) [snapback]1005083[/snapback]
    All of us will get a flu shot this year, we all do every year. The kids will all get Thimerosal free shots.

Ditto for us.

15. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I guess I should answer my own question! None of us got flu shots last year, but this year I think we all will. I never thought of paying for our nanny to get one, but that's a good idea. I already talked to the Pedi's office and the version they offer of the shot is thimerosol free (it's called FluZone and it's by Sanofi).

16. Flutterbymama

Flutterbymama Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Sep 30 2008, 01:10 PM) [snapback]1005150[/snapback]
    I'm on the fence. Last year, I ordered the thimerosal-free shot for Nadia, and when we got there, the ped informed us that those shots were only being given to children younger than 3. <_<

I don't know much about the mist -- need to research that.

For my little ones, if I can get the thimerasol-free shots, I'll lean toward getting them. We need to be careful with Kevan getting any respiratory illness.

But, I know the shots aren't fool-proof, and I've heard the CDC sort of "guesses" many months beforehand on what the prevalent strain of flu virus might be that year. No clue how accurate that is, but it's not comforting....I did read an article that said they completely missed the mark last year.

So, on the fence...

DH and I usually get the shots, but I wish we could get the thimerasol-free ones for ourselves, too.

That unfortunately is true. Everyone except dh is scheduled to get them. The kids at their check ups and me at work tomorrow. I need to make dh go to the dr. to get one. I'm hoping to get him to go to his GP and we'll just have to pay a $15.00 co-pay versus $30.00 for the shot at a clinic.

Christy

17. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

The twins started getting it once they started attending pre-school. Every year since age 3. My husband will get it too. Cody & I will not be getting one. My work is offering free shots to employees & reduced shots for family members.

18. HT

HT Well-Known Member

All 3 of mine got theirs last week. The twins got shots, my older DD got the mist. I never thought to ask about the thiermasol. Guess I assumed my ped would only offer the safest ones available.

19. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely. My SIL who is an RN and works almost exclusively with infants says that I should ask my pedi about the nose spray.

20. LanieK

LanieK Well-Known Member

We've all been getting ours for awhile now. This year we will all do again. My dd has had the nasal mist once and hated the taste left in her throat for a whole day! I think she liked the shot better! I am unsure for the boys whether we will do the nasal or shot... but we will do whatever the office carries-- itshould be the thimerosol free one.
    Lanie

We've all been getting ours for awhile now. This year we will all do again. My dd has had the nasal mist once and hated the taste left in her throat for a whole day! I think she liked the shot better! I am unsure for the boys whether we will do the nasal or shot... but we will do whatever the office carries-- itshould be the thimerosol free one.
    Lanie

21. ldsangel19

ldsangel19 Well-Known Member

Yup, they'll be getting it in a few weeks. DH and I are undecided if we'll get them for outselves.

22. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Last year, I chose not to have my boys get it. The ped said if we start hearing on the news that the flu is big in our area, then we can bring them in to have the shot, but we never did and they did not get the flu. Just a small cold last year.

I dont plan on having them get it this year either. However, I may put some more thought into it as the year goes on since they are in preschool this year.

23. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

i've never had a flu shot. dh gets it every year. we will be getting them for the babies this year, but didn't last year because they were under 6 months....

can someone tell me what thimerisol is? tia

24. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Sandra -- it's a preservative that contains mercury, which is a neurotoxin that can build up in the body and cause harm. Over the last ten or so years, most children's vaccines are made without thimerasol, but most brands of the flu shot still contain it.

It's one of the main reasons why vaccines are so controversial.

25. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

The babies got theirs this weekend at their 12 month appt, they were whatever brand the pedi carries.

I have heard on the news around here that they are expecting it to be a particularly bad year for the flu and after doing a bit of research and talking to the pedi the benefits outweigh the risks.

I work in healthcare so I'll get one from work, not sure if DH is gonna get one or not.

26. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

27. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

We're all getting the flu shot. And my pedi's office only gives thimerosal-free vaccines.

28. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

DH has a 'clinic' at his work in a few weeks that we'll take the kids to. Everyone but Evan will get one then. Shh... they don't know it yet.

29. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

We will be getting ours--We always have--Seems to cut down on all the sickness for the winter

30. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

my 7 yr old DD and one twin will. The other twin will not because he's allergic to eggs.
    The other 2 WILL get it because unfortuntaely, the one allergic to eggs REALLY needs it most, so I can't afford the 2 sibs to get the flu and bring it home.

31. kajulie

kajulie Well-Known Member

My girls got it last week. I do it because they are in daycare so they are exposed to a lot of germs. I've never had one, and have no intentions of getting it myself.

32. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

The girls got it last year and they will get it again this year. So will I (now I need to convince DH to get it too).

33. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

We'll all get it. Dh has to for work. I'm in a high risk category since I'm diabetic. The kids all get them. Last year we all got the nasal spray. It wasn't too bad. None of us got the flu.

34. dmoden

dmoden Well-Known Member

yes, we have no choice for the twins. It is a law in NJ if your kids are in pre-school. Not sure if i will until the new baby is born in Dec., and my hubby says he never has and never will.

35. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

No, non of use will be getting the shot or nasal spray. We have never gotten it and don't plan on to either. The most we ever get is the colds (runny nose and congestion with cough). My girls had been in preschool the last two years and no flu so hopfully I didn't just jinx myself and them for saying this. We all have been pretty healthy thankfully.