Will I ever stop?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MichelleL, Jan 25, 2012.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Worrying about them, thinking about them, etc.?

Confessions of an over-protective mom:
    I still get teary-eyed when I pull away from the house to go to work 3 days/week.
    I still go into their room at night before I go to bed and put my hand on their belly to make sure they are breathing.
    I still get teary-eyed as the bus pulls away...taking my sweet babies away from me.
    I still hug them as tight as can be when they get off the bus, feeling like I haven't seen them in days (in some cases it's only been a few hours).

It took so much for us to bring them into the world, and there is so much bad out there (sex offenders, molesters, kidnappers, wreckless driving, blah blah blah) that I am forever worrying about them.

Ridiculous much? :blush: Does anyone want to chime in and tell me I'm not alone?

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My Mom would say you are perfectly normal! She still cries when we leave after a visit and I'm in my 30's! I think I would be more that way if I had girls, I don't know why. I know I get more teary-eyed over my third son, just because I know he's my last baby.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, you aren't alone or ridiculous. I still do the same things with L&L. But, I can say that it does get easier (or maybe just different) as they get older. I don't still check to see if the big kids are breathing, I don't feel sad when they go to school in the mornings, and they don't really want hugs when they get home. :lol: I am not sure when it changed with them, but over time it does. I am, however, still quite emotional when I think of how old they are getting... thinking about Olivia graduating next year & possibly leaving home can definitely make me cry!

4. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Thinking of Olivia graduating next year makes ME cry! :cry: I feel like I know her, have watched her grow up these years and like she's my niece. :wub:

I still go into their room every night to give them a kiss. :wub: I don't know when I'll stop that... when they're married and their spouses think it's weird? :laughing: I do get teary some mornings when I see just how "big" they are getting on the bus on their own. I still to this day can not believe I have 2 5 year olds! Insane!!

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Awww, and a great auntie you would be too! :air_kiss:

I can't comprehend how these little babies are all 5 years old now! How did that happen?! I am SURE that I am not 5 years older than when they were born. :umm:

6. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

It won't stop, but it will change. Kind of like when kids go through stages. I think, as parents we go through stages too. Some days I can't wait for the kids to come home from school, and some days I can wait another hour or so, lol. You are normal, no worries.

7. BRMommy

BRMommy Well-Known Member

A mom can never stop worrying about her kids. My mom will still call me on a cold day to ask if I'm wearing my socks and sweater. And I'm 40! :)

8. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

It will change when they hit puberty. You will be glad for the short break you get when they go to school. But then again it will change when they graduate HS and you will again cry when they leave for college or to head out on their own.

I'm sure its still tough for my mom, and her 'baby' is nearly 40 (and I'm no where near her 'baby'). My grandmother who had her first child at 42, once told me that first you can't stand to be apart from them, then they are invaded by aliens, become teenagers, and you can't get far enough away. The aliens leave at some point and then the grandchildren arrive to pull on your heartstrings all over again.

Mine are 11 and 23 and still can make me cry. When they leave, when they return, when they don't leave, when the won't stay. Suffice to say, my waterworks....work.

1 person likes this.
  9. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

My mom still does this! And I am the exact same way with my boys. :wub: Sounds normal to me!

10. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's completely normal. I had such a tough time with the fact that my "baby" turned 5 this week. Some days I am happy to see my kids off to school for a few hours others I want to keep them with me and snuggle all day.

You are an amazing mom!!! And definitely not alone!!

11. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I love all your stories/thoughts/sharings. :hug: :grouphug: :hug:

12. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to tell you, Michelle, that it never really stops. At least not for me. It might not be that intense gutwrenching feeling all the time but it still hurts a little bit every time one of my boys leaves the house. (And I don't even want to tell you about the driving! A whole other set of worries accompanies that! :eek:)

True story. Sometime before Christmas, Sean had called to say he would be coming home for dinner on a Sunday evening. I prepped this fabulous meal (his favorites) and even dessert (a rarity) only to be devastated when he texted me to say one of his roommates had decided to cook dinner so he wasn't coming home. I kid you not, I cried like a baby! :lol: I am such a dorky sap!

13. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I still do check that they're breathing and haven't accidentally strangled themselves in the covers or something.

Other than that, I don't worry much (I never have -- which is strange, because I'm a very high anxiety person). I've also never really minded being apart from them most of the day, but I actually miss them more as they get older (maybe because being with them is more rewarding and interesting for me now).

I do cry at the thought of them going to college. I feel like I spent their first 5 years wishing they'd hurry up and get older, and now I'm realizing how quickly it can all go by. But I get sad about that on a big-picture level, not on a day-to-day level.

1 person likes this.
  14. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I do this every night!!