Why can't we protect their innocence forever

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ehm, Apr 26, 2008.

1. ehm

ehm Banned

The children wanted to go down to the park a block from our house so we went. We got there and some of the basketball courts were being used but some weren't so we headed for one that was not. There were some young boys at one that were just cursing up a storm. I kindly asked them if they could watch their language while the little ones were here, we wouldn't be very long. They kept going so I mentioned something again. At that point they headed to the tennis courts leaving us alone in the basketball courts but they weren't far as they were adjacent to us with just a wire fence separating. There was another group of young people with them sitting just on the other side of the fence and one of my children was walking along the wall while I sat on the wall. My child came to me and said mom mom one of those people said do you want some candy? We discussed the correct response and my child confirmed they actually said nothing to the girls. The next time around, my child was doing loops on the wall, they said hey kid and mumbled something else. This time when my child came to me the tears were flowing. I went over to the group with my child, said excuse me but if you could please leave my child alone that would be great, you are making them cry. They said they didn't say anything. The next time around my child said they said hi so my child responded hi. I know it sounds petty recounting here but they made my child cry!!!!! Shortly after the sitting group left but the initial group was still there. I don't think they could see us or they felt they didn't have to care because the sitting group left and they started shouting at the top of their lungs F U! F U! F U! My children were startled by the loudness but I don't think they knew what was being said. They decided it was time to move to another section of the park which I was happy to oblige. I let my children walk a little bit ahead of me and I almost yelled "I hope you are F'in proud of yourselves" but I didn't. Ughhh, we just wanted to go shoot some baskets and play catch with a ball off the wall. A simple hour in the park made one of my children cry and made me feel like I was corrupting them!!!!!!

2. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

I would have gone over there and ripped them a new one! There is no excuse for that! If you had your cellphone you should have called the police. To me that is inappropriate and maybe a talk with one of the men in blue might have helped!

3. ehm

ehm Banned

Yeah, I did have my cell because from the park we were going to walk to the local pizza place and were planning on calling in our order. I told my mom about it (she is a middle school teacher and I think some of these children were her grade) and she too said that I should have called the police although I am not sure exactly what they could be 'in trouble' for except maybe disturbing the peace.

I wanted to add that my child is just soo cute that they prior to the crying incident my child told me to remind them when we were getting ready to leave that they wanted to thank the boys for going up to the tennis courts and giving them space on the basketball courts. Ugghh the rude people leave because they are obnoxious and my silly child wants to thank them. After teh crying incident that idea slipped our minds and quite honestly I am kind of glad it did because they probably would have responded with an even louder FU!!!

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I hate the "pack mentality" of young teens trying to be "cool". Too bad you didn't know which ones were your mom's students, because I bet that would have straighted them right up, because I can bet you their parents don't know how they are acting, and for most their parents wouldn't accept the behavior, and if they knew you could get to their parents, they would have acted differently.

5. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

This is a problem at our park next street over too. Packs of teens "hanging out" on the play equipment and some don't even move for the little kids. I can't tell you how many times I have had to say things to them and point out sign posted that states equipment intended for children 5-12. They curse, throw their empty bottles on ground (even though several trashcans), and have even some boyfriend girlfriend scenerios "making out" My kids don't need to be exposed to this just to play at the park. When we were teens we used to hang at parks too, but as soon as parents came with little ones we left so they could use the equipment. The kids at our park seem unphased by adult presence. I like you have had to ask them to watch language, etc. It is very frustrating and I am sorry they made your child cry :hug99:

6. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

That's just awful. :( I agree with Sharon and Michelle; that "pack mentality" really burns me up, too. :angry: I wish I had a good suggestion for how to deal with it in future, but I can't do any better than PPs. :hug99:

7. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I have seen adults at our playground who won't vacate the equipment. People in their 30s, probably somewhat sloshed. :aggressive:

8. purplekatz

purplekatz Well-Known Member

I hate the "pack mentality" of young teens trying to be "cool". Too bad you didn't know which ones were your mom's students, because I bet that would have straighted them right up, because I can bet you their parents don't know how they are acting, and for most their parents wouldn't accept the behavior, and if they knew you could get to their parents, they would have acted differently.

Unfortunately having contact with parents doesn't always work this way. We've had issues at parks and I have gone to the parents and told them what happened and had parents swear, or roll eyes at me, and tell me to get thicker skin, that I shouldn't let a few jr high/high schoolers get under my skin like that. I've called police and the kids have no respect for the officers either.
    This wasn't just one family I spoke to either, this was at least 5 different ones. I see such a lack of respect and too many uninvolved parents who care less what their kids are doing as long as they are out not bugging them.

I'm so sorry about your experience. I hope it never happens again.

9. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

That is really disturbing. I have no patience for smart A@@ punk kids. I dont know what I would have done but I would have been so mad. Sounds like you have some really sweet kids!

10. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

That's a shame. I don't know what I'd do in that situation. Thankfully, I haven't run into something like that yet. I'm sorry you and your kiddos had to go through it.