Why can't I shelter them forever

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ehm, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ehm

ehm Banned

So my child got moved on the behavioral scale yesterday because they decided to show all the ways to count the number one using every individual finger. Well apparently when it was the middle finger one of the children in the class freaked out and started telling my child that they were doing something horrible. So the teacher came over, asked what my child had done so of course my child says, I held up this finger (in essence giving the teacher the finger) so there went the red light. Now, seriously, my child does not know what the middle finger alone means and why should they be punished for being 'naive'. Good thing conferences are next week!!!

2. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

So sorry that got your kid moved to red. My 8yo doesn't even know that it is an obscene gesture or what it stands for. We have had to stop her from using it when counting a few times. I just tell her it is sign language for a not nice word. If your kids understand the concept of sign language, maybe you can just tell them the same thing. I would definitely be talking to the teacher about that behavior move and I wouldn't be waiting until conferences to do it.

3. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

It wasn't just obvious to the teacher that your child had no clue there was an alternate meaning? I'd call the teacher, too. I wouldn't wait for conferences.

4. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would call or email (my preference of getting in touch with the teacher). Let them know that your child has no idea what it means.

My children were shown by someone last year, and now even if I am reading something to them, and I point with my middle finger (you know, palm facing down, and finger not up in the air) the girls yell at me that I am cursing. :rolleyes:

5. momofmandb

momofmandb Well-Known Member

I would call the teacher as well. My kids are 7 1/2 and wouldn't know that there was something wrong with that. There shouldn't be a punishment for something that he didn't know was wrong. These are the types of things I dislike about school.

6. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

Huh? Who is the "they" that were "showing all the ways" to count the number one on individual fingers. If this was a class exercise how could your child possibly be penalized for it? :eek: :angry: I'd be on the phone too.

7. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

ugh!!! I would not be happy. Joel is 8 and just "learned" through a friend that it is a "bad" finger, but he doesn't know what it means. (he has never heard the "f" word) Before his friend told him, he used it all the time... I would not be happy if he was penalized for that. I would call.

8. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Good grief! That teacher should have just explained to your child that it wasn't nice to do that and that it wasn't allowed in her class and left it at that.

My kids learned very early about that, but that was because Brady was predisposed to use that finger every time he pointed at anything. It took a long time for him to get out of the habit, so the kids heard me say it many times. His brothers acted as the "finger police" for a while, too, until he finally got the message! But had he never done that, I wouldn't have thought to tell him about it...just like I wouldn't tell him all the swear words to avoid unless I heard him say them first.

9. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

wait, what!?
    My 7.5 yr old still has no idea that's naughty. WTHeck!? I agree, don't wait.