Why can't I find this info?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jewels707, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jewels707

jewels707 Well-Known Member

I am going crazy trying to find out statistics on twin pre-term labor. I know that approx. half of all twins are born before 37 weeks, but I would like a breakdown. For instance, of the %50 percent of twins born before 37 weeks, x% are born at 27 weeks, x% at 32 weeks, and x% at 34 weeks, etc. etc. If anyone can find a reliable resource with this information I would much appreciate it. :)

2. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(jewels707 @ Dec 22 2008, 06:32 PM) [snapback]1119676[/snapback]
    I am going crazy trying to find out statistics on twin pre-term labor. I know that approx. half of all twins are born before 37 weeks, but I would like a breakdown. For instance, of the %50 percent of twins born before 37 weeks, x% are born at 27 weeks, x% at 32 weeks, and x% at 34 weeks, etc. etc. If anyone can find a reliable resource with this information I would much appreciate it. :)

3. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

Good question; I don't think I've seen really good stats like that either. Well and the ones I have seen conflict with each other; I remember reading somewhere that a full 20% of twins are born before 32 weeks and elsewhere I saw a much lower number. But then, I've also seen articles citing the average twin gestation as being 35.3 weeks, 36.3, 36.5 or 37.3 so it's hard to know who to believe! ;)

I do think there's a sticky somewhere here on Twinstuff that shows the results of a survey of the members in terms of average gestation, amount of NICU time, etc.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't recall seeing any stats like that.

QUOTE(SC_Amy @ Dec 23 2008, 07:09 AM) [snapback]1120117[/snapback]
    I do think there's a sticky somewhere here on Twinstuff that shows the results of a survey of the members in terms of average gestation, amount of NICU time, etc.

Here is that sticky!

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

My perinatologist told me she was involved in a study seeking to compile statistics on twin births for PTL and other sorts of stuff. She was really excited about it because there was no good information out there.

That said, having "been there, done that", I'd suggest you focus on how far YOU want to go, not how far the average twin pregnancy goes. I firmly believe that a lot of pregnancy is mind over matter, and if you're focusing on what can go wrong rather than how well you're doing, you're introducing a lot of negative energy into your system.