Whose name comes first?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MichelleL, Sep 1, 2011.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We had this discussion at our twins' playgroup the other day. One of the mom's said she has always said "Lauren and Emma" as I do, but didn't realize until the other day that most of the other moms say "Emma and Lauren". We have been in the same playgroup for almost 5 years now and we were all laughing because most of us call each others twins' by different combinations but we never realized it. There was only one set there that everyone agreed they say the same way.

I wonder if people say Emma first because alphabetically, she would come first. It doesn't bother me a bit which one they put first, I have always just said Lauren first because she is, technically, my first born.

So...who comes first when you talk about your children and do other people mention them in the reverse order that you do?

Just curious. :D

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We do first born and alphabetical----that is how we chose who got what name.

Plus, somehow it sounds better that way!!! :p

3. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't find the essay that Craig and Mark wrote about just this topic. (it's funny)

Most sets I know have an established name order based on what flows better. (the alphabet, birth order, size of the name)We were always Connie and Kendra but there were people who did purposely switch just so I would get the chance to be first sometimes.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Very interesting topic!

I do Sebastian & Orion- it just flows better to me. But Sebastian is my 1stborn, so who knows?

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I deliberately say my girls names both ways. Sometimes I say Piper and Cricket. Other times I say Cricket and Piper. My friends generally use the alphabetical listing, though. Maybe that's the way our brains work, who knows!

6. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

We always say Alexis and Samantha. I think because we got used to it back when they were in-utero?

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Oh, I would love to read it!

8. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We always say Reese and Ryder, it flows better I guess. :good:

9. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

I switch it up. :D I think if I had to guess I probably say Ashlyn & Aidyn more...no idea why. Birth order? Flow? BUT, I do really try to switch it up b/c I don't want Anyone to think they are more important than the other. I know it's most likely all in my head, but I'm a goober that way. :blush: :lol:

10. starmaker

starmaker Well-Known Member

Everyone always says Joyce and Frances. Everyone has always said it in this order, mostly because I am the first born. Both Frances and me do think it flows better like this, but that could be because we are used to it ;)

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I switch it up. When I sign cards though I always sign M & A (birth order).

12. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

It's always been Jesse and Jayden .. birth order. It started in the womb .. when I finally decided on names I said "I'm calling them Jesse and Jayden" so baby A became Jesse and baby B became Jayden.

I think I may have asked this same question like 4-5 years ago on here !!

eta .. I never noticed if anyone mixes them up .. but I imagine they do. Now I'll have to pay attention closer !!

13. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

Isaiah and Jeremiah, always. Birth order, alphabetical order... It's even in the Bible that way and when I was growing up, we sang a memory song in church, so I find myself saying their names in the sing song tune from my childhood, lol.

14. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

We go by birth order as well, Nick & Alex. The only people who have called them Alex & Nick have been Alex's teachers and classmates because they didn't realize he's a twin.

15. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always say Emilie and Trevor. For some reason Trevor and Emilie just does not sound right to me. My hubby says Trevor and Emilie though as do others, but I always say Emilie and Trevor, always! :lol:

16. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Birth order and alphabetical order: jazzy and jessy

17. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I think almost everyone says Sydney and Sabrina for our girls. Sydney is the oldest, but she's also the biggest and seems older in a lot of ways. I do purposely switch once in awhile, and make a point of correcting people if they say something about Sydney being older. I don't want Sabrina to feel/act the younger of the two or to have Sydney get all bossy and act like she's in charge.

18. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always say Liam and Rylee, birth order, and alphabetical, and it flows! :lol: Mostly everyone else refers to them as the "twins". Hence the reason we rarely ever say "the twins" we call them "the babies" or "the little kids". They'll be "the twins" for a long time I'm sure to other people ;)

I'll have to pay attention to what other people say now, the few that do call them by name! :lol:

19. luvrkids

luvrkids Well-Known Member

Everyone says Reese and Rylee but I try to change it up sometimes it just doesnt sound right and Reese was the first born:)

20. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Everyone says Jack and Anna. Birth order, and I think it flows better since Jack is one syllable and the transition to "and" is easier from the hard "k" than the soft "a".

21. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

whomever's name comes out first is usually the one in more trouble! LOL!!

4 people like this.
  22. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Tony and Angie here. I think it sounds better and it is their birth order. :pardon: I guess I never really thought about it. :lol:

23. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We tend to say "Abby and Gabe". Abby was 2nd born though, so it must just flow better alphabetically. I don't know, but I've thought about that before as well. Most other people say Abby and Gabe as well, but it doesn't bother me at all if someone says it another way.

24. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

alpha-birth order. Alice and Royce.

25. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

I always say Angie ad Tony. :blush:

26. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Brooke & Morgan flows better, but I do change it up sometimes so they both get the option of being first. I think it's only fair. I will purposely switch the order of other twins too, for the same reason. :D

27. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Most people say Gabby and (y) Bianca. I think it flows better, both with and and with y. I do try to switch it up in I remember. Now that they are in school, Gabby is the more focused of the two, so naturally does better in a school situation, so I think its more important for Bianca to be first sometimes.

28. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

I always say Rachel and Rebekah. It's alpha order, birth order, and also in order by syllables! ;) If I do use Bekah first, it's because she's in trouble more! :laughing:

Oh and I always say Emma and LoLo...probably b/c of alpha order! :blush:

Liz, I always say Angie and Tony, too! :blush:

29. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We always say Sarah and Allison because to me it just flows better. Also, I guess it could have something to do with the fact that Sarah was born first.

30. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We got in the habit of saying Amy and Sarah because it flows better (although Sarah is technically the firstborn), but then I made a concerted effort to switch it up sometimes so Sarah wasn't always last. I was concerned about this largely because Amy is so dominant anyway, I didn't want Sarah to feel even more like she was coming in second. It felt weird to say Sarah and Amy at first, but I got used to it and now say it that way probably more often than not.

31. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Too funny - I have actually worried about this and thought about it in terms of which name we would sing at their Birthday Party! I have no clue what everybody sang - I am assuming the way we most often say it - Katie and Tyler (first born, females first, and I just think it flows better since I often shorten it to K & T). My DS is more sensitive and DD is more dominant so I do try to switch it up to make him first occassionally, but with things like the Birthday song and cards I sign I figure I will always use the ladies first, firstborn rule!

32. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

If I am talking, I usually say Hayley and Brianne. I think it flows better. Brianne was firstborn. If I am writing, its is always Brianne before Hayley.

33. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

We do birth order, Rianna & Justin

34. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Me too, but signing cards I always do it oldest to youngest (dh, me, Clayton, Audrey & Evan). I do tend to do birth order for the twins more, but I do give Audrey her turn to be first!

35. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Depends on who is calling them. If it is my mom, it's William and Nathaniel, not in alpha or birth order. For me it depends, I say it both ways. Most of my friends though do call them in alpha and birth oder so Nathaniel and William