Who Should I listen to?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Oct 17, 2013.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

My twins (who are 3) have seen the same Ped since they were about 3 months old. We love her, and my boys love her. She is awesome, highly recommended & well known in the area for being a really good Dr.

She has told me in the past that I CAN give my boys some Delsym cough medicine at night if the coughing is interfering with their getting a good night sleep. She told me I could give 1 1/4 tsp. She even wrote it down for me so I would remember.

When my hubby read the label on the Delsym bottle one evening, he told me that the label indicated it was for older kids & that 1 1/4 tsp (according to the Delsym directions) was too much.

So anyway, the other day I was chatting with our pharmacist about using Delsym & she asked how old my kids were that I was giving it to....(I Told her 3) & she looked at me shocked & long story short...told me that number 1 they were too young for it AND that was WAY too much & that I better consult with the Dr. again.

So what the heck? Do you believe a pharmacist who knows their drugs...or a Dr.???

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would trust the pharmacist, personally. A few times we've had doctors screw up dosages for weight or age, and the pharmacist catches it.

3. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

My kids are 3 also and we use some honey based 100% natural cough syrup - you can check those out at your pharmacy. I wonder why your pediatrician would recommend Delsym, isn't that for grown ups or the kids version for children over 5? You can also rub some Vaporub on their chest to help with congestion. I hope they feel better soon.

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I would listen to the pharmacist until I had a chance to talk to the doctor again. My understanding is that cough syrup is dangerous for kids under 6. I've never even given it to my 5.5 year olds. I would consider it, but I'd want more discussion.

5. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I would go with the pharmacist too.   Possibly even ask another pharmacist just to double check.

6. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

I can't advise you on who to trust, but could the doctor have meant 'one quarter of a tsp' instead of 'one and a quarter tsp'? Typo or poor wording?

7. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I am not telling you who to trust, either.  I will say this... the bottle of Delsym that I have says the dose for a 4-6 year old is 2.5 mL or 1/2 a teaspoon.  I have given my 4 year olds that dose of Delsym when a cough is interfering with their sleep and it works great.  I would not give your child(ren) any more than that... 1/4 teaspoon seems more like it for a 3 year old.

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Normally i would trust the pharmacist, our pharmacist caught a mis dosing on a med that could have caused seizures in our youngest son.

That being said, cough syrup, and even the dosing on tylenol and ibuprofen, is actually under dosed/per weight.  It's to help prevent parents overdosing their kids on it.  So there's a chance it's fine, especially if you are only using it ocassionally. 

We routinely use the mucinex cough meds for kids, I've used them for all 4 of my kids and never had any issues.  I use it before bed, and sometimes in the morning before school if they are really congested/coughing/stuffy.

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd go with the pharmacist. We have a friend who is a pharmacist and he knows wayyy more on drugs, how they interact with others, etc-then doctors themselves do. They have to know that stuff.

That said, I've given my kids delsym to help with coughs. Long story short, I don't think any has ever helped them. Aside from a nebulizer treatment!

10. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Pharmacist, even if the labels are under doses, I would much rather under dose and dose a second time, than give too much.

We don't give cough syrup anyway.

11. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd trust the pharmacist until you have another chance to talk to the doctor again. If she is saying they should get that much, ask why.

12. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

My twins just turned 4 a few weeks ago; I used Delsym at night with Collin many many times when he was just three.  Collin would wake up at 3AM with the horrible cough and just could not get back to sleep.  We used 1/2-3/4 teaspoon and the stuff lasted 12 hours.  So it gave him some relief.  I would recommend only using Delsym temporarily and focusing on what is causing the coughing problem.  Delsym is one of the strongest cough meds on the market.

If it is just a light cold, I would not use Delsym....but if the cough is chronic and lasts for months I would see a Ped ENT and Ped Allergist.   Collin was finally tested and diagnosed, after a year of seeing different doctors with bad allergies.

13. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would trust the pharmacist as well.

14. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

I heard her say 1 1/4 tsp and she also wrote that amount down on paper for me so pretty sure it was not a mistake. Definitely waiting to speak with her to clarify things.