Which wooden kitchen?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nateandbrig, Jan 3, 2011.

1. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I know, I know, another kitchen question :)

I'm now getting down to the wire and can't decide between these two kitchens...

Little tikes Or Melissa and Doug ??

Which one would you get for your 3 year olds?
    It's a gift for my twins who will be 3 on the 21st, but I also have a little one that will be 2 in Feb.
    Do you have one or know of someone that does that loves theirs? Any help would be appreciated, I'm totally stumped.
    Thanks!

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

"Santa" just brought my guys the Little Tikes one you linked. So far they really like it, but it has been kind of eclipsed by the cleaning cart/vacuum set that "Santa" also left them. :rolleyes: I think the kitchen looks really nice, though it is kind of small (I think most wooden play kitchens are). The box it comes in is super heavy and it takes about 3-4 hours to put together. It's literally 43 steps, 44 if you include opening the bottle of wine you'll need afterward! :lol: So make sure you have somewhere you can put it together that is easy to get to, and that you can leave it for a few hours (or days) where you can assemble it without your LOs seeing it. :good:

I don't know anyone who has the Melissa and Doug kitchen, though their products are usually really good. The Little Tikes kitchen had a washing machine, so that was the deal-breaker for me.

Hope this helps! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That little tikes one looks super cute, and for me, price is an issue, so I would probably go with it!

But, I will say, we bought the kids a Melissa and Doug train/activity table for christmas and I am thrilled with their stuff! It was super super easy to put together, is super sturdy, perfect size for 4 kids to play around, plus the board part where the train track goes is not thin, it's about a half inch plywood, and Rylee has crawled up on it several times already and there's no way it's going to sag, it also has good support underneath.

All that to say, I am thrilled with Melissa and Doug stuff and so I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for it if I chose to get their kitchen.

And with that, I'm zero help, aren't i?!? :lol:

1 person likes this.
  4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have the Little Tykes one, we got it last Christmas & it has held up well. Looks good & the kids enjoy it.

1 person likes this.
  5. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Little Tikes.

All I could think about when looking at the Melissa and Doug one was.....BOY that white will get grubby! :p

We have had a lot of luck w/ Little Tikes and it resells really well. I also like the fact it has a laundry center AND a kitchen!

FWIW we had a Step2 kitchen and LOVED it (had to sell it when we moved).

1 person likes this.
  6. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

Have you considered the kidcraft ones? Or Ikea has a cute one ikea kitchen I saw the Melissa and Doug kitchen got bad review on Amazon.

1 person likes this.
  7. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

They're both pretty small in person, so might be tight for three kids to play with. That said, I'd go with the Little Tikes because it also has laundry. My girls have a wooden kitchen (no particular brand - it was in a preschool and we inherited it) and the fridge is large like the Melissa and Doug one. The girls use it mostly for storage of junk... which is sort of a waste. The Little Tikes looks like it has smaller appliances but more of them - so more to do!

1 person likes this.
  8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I think most of the bad reviews on amazon were bad because it is made in China... it has a 4.5 star rating otherwise. I've seen it though and yes, it looks small, but I guess they all are. My BIL has this one that they might send us that is fantastic.

1 person likes this.
  9. nateandbrig

Thank you so much for the feedback!!

I looked into the Kidcraft ones and I've had horrible luck with their stuff.

Fran I didn't think about it being white and getting dirty, that's a great point!

I don't have a lot of room now that the playroom is also dd's room. But I want to get a couple little extra sets like the bbq and market ones. They all are small and I looked for something a bit bigger but I want it to be sturdy, and it seems the bigger they are the less sturdy they are.

Valerie I'm getting that clean up cart as well! You sold me on that with your other post!!! My son LOVES his vacuum, I mean serious obsession with it. So I know that that will be a huge hit!

Keep the feedback coming! I'm leaning towards the Little tikes, because I too have had wonderful luck with their stuff!

10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Which clean up cart is it? I'll definitely need one of those lol. I'll have to look into a market at some point too...

11. nateandbrig

I think it's this one... Cart I saved it on Amazon...

12. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

They both look great. I like the Little Tykes one better, I think. The IL's got L&M the My First Kenmore Set from Kmart, but now I can't find it on the website. :pardon: They love it.

13. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the one I got. I bought it direct from Constructive Playthings along with these appliances, which are SUPER cool. Nate is a little afraid of the noises that the vacuum and appliances make, but otherwise they're a huge hit.