where in the grocery store are veggie dogs?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by elhardy26, May 7, 2009.

1. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

in keeping with trying to find healthy lunch foods I went to the hotdog section of my grocery store looking for veggie dogs (they do exist right?) and I couldnt' find anything... was i looking in the wrong section?

all they had were turkey dogs?? we don't really eat hot dogs so I don't really know but is a turkey dog healthy?

tia for your help!

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The veggie dogs are usually with the organic fruits and veggies in the produce section. I guess the stores see them as "veggie" and not so much "dog".

Also, let me just tell you, the Morningstar corn-dogs are better than regular corn dogs and the chix patties are really good too.

3. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

In our store they are in the produce section too. Along with soy/organic cheeses and things

4. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Our supermarket has them in THREE different places.

Tofu Pups and Smart Dogs are with the produce, which is also where you find tofu. I really like both of these (they are the same brand and I don't really know what the difference is except that one is lower in fat). I cook them in the microwave in a bowl of water.

There are some kinds in the organic food area.

Then there are some in the frozen foods (actually, maybe there arent', but that's where the Morningstar Farms brand is, and they have burgers, chicken nuggets, sausages, and yes, the fabulous corn dogs).

I recently discovered that Target carries Morningstar Farms products, and they are both cheaper and have a better selection than at my supermarket (almost $1/box difference, and I recently got them on sale at Target for even less).

Good luck.

Rachel

5. eatcelery

eatcelery Well-Known Member

My kids like the Corn Dogs from Trader Joe's have you tried there? They are soy dogs. The stuff is soo much cheaper at Trader Joe's and I get the twins a TON of food from there.

6. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(eatcelery @ May 7 2009, 12:59 PM) [snapback]1304379[/snapback]
    My kids like the Corn Dogs from Trader Joe's have you tried there? They are soy dogs. The stuff is soo much cheaper at Trader Joe's and I get the twins a TON of food from there.

we don't have a trader joe's around us... i wish we did!