where can i buy yeast infection cream for baby?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by orangeyaglad, Mar 24, 2009.

1. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

hello, my name is Christine and I'm new to the site. So glad I found it as it has been very helpful! I'm a mother to 9 week old g/g fraternal twins and two weeks ago they got diaper rash from using cheaper diapers. Needless to say, we got rid of the cheaper diapers...some things you just can't skimp on, right?
    We went back to using Pampers swaddlers because they didn't have problems with them before and they seem to enjoy the softness of the diaper. While isabelle's diaper rash seems to be getting better, aurielle's diaper rash has turned into a yeast infection. she is beet red and has raised red bumps. also, she is extremely squirmy and in pain. the rash/infection is on her "parts" and not so much on her bum. My husband was going to call the pedi when he got home but i was reading that we can purchase something over the counter before we go and get a prescription. Does anyone know what the brand is called and where I can find it?

TIA

2. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of anything... it's probably best to call the pedi and they can give you a prescription with refills in case it reoccurs.

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Meghan had yeast infections as a baby and the pedi told us to buy Lotrimin over the counter. That quickly clears the infection up. I would call the pedi just to be sure that's what it is.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:welcome: to TS and the First Year

I too would take her to the Ped. Hard to say what it is. Could be yeast, could be staph, could be just a rash??... We had Nystatin Ointment prescribed for yeast but that was a couple of years ago.

5. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

:hug: Hope she feels better soon. Lotrimin works well but the ped will be able to get you a stronger one that is usually refillable for up to a year. They just have to see her to diagnose it. Welcome to the site! :welcome:

6. orangeyaglad

thanks ladies! i will have hubby call. my hands are full of twins...it's really hard for me to even make a phone call. lol

7. Melissatwins84

Melissatwins84 Well-Known Member

My pedi gave us tons of samples, I can't remember the name of the cream, but it is for prescription only, maybe your pedi will give you samples as well.

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

:welcome:

We always used Lotrimin as well.

9. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Nystatin is a prescription yeast ointment. For a yeast infection on her privates I would go to the ped.

For a suspected yeasty rash on the bottom, hip, or other generalized diaper area, or in the chin/moutch area I've always used lotrimin(generic antifungal cream called Clotrimazole).

10. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

You may want to ask your pedi but mine recommended using Lotrimin. It is used for athletes foot. You can buy it pretty much anywhere. You can buy the generic and the pedi said that you can use any of the others that are in that section along with the Lotrimin. We had to switch at one point to one of the others because it stopped working. We initially used it for the redness in their neck creases and them my ds needed it on his parts and bum. It worked great and cleared it up. We stopped using it a while ago. GL

Jen

11. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We got a script from the pedi and he gave us so much that it lasted us forever!

12. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

We had the same issue with Rose. Poor thing is sensitive to Everything! It got to the point where her red bumps had little white heads on them :S Anyhoo, we changed her brand of diapers, stopped feeding her baby food [only formula and then oatmeal] just to be sure.

The pedi suggest an anti-fungal cream [athlete's foot cream]. I was skeptical at first, but it worked!! After a few days of using it religiously the bumps were gone! I got the cream from Fred Meyers, but I'm sure you can go to almost any drug store to get it.

13. michellelr

michellelr New Member

QUOTE(orangeyaglad @ Mar 24 2009, 02:06 PM) [snapback]1242447[/snapback]
    hello, my name is Christine and I'm new to the site. So glad I found it as it has been very helpful! I'm a mother to 9 week old g/g fraternal twins and two weeks ago they got diaper rash from using cheaper diapers. Needless to say, we got rid of the cheaper diapers...some things you just can't skimp on, right?
    We went back to using Pampers swaddlers because they didn't have problems with them before and they seem to enjoy the softness of the diaper. While isabelle's diaper rash seems to be getting better, aurielle's diaper rash has turned into a yeast infection. she is beet red and has raised red bumps. also, she is extremely squirmy and in pain. the rash/infection is on her "parts" and not so much on her bum. My husband was going to call the pedi when he got home but i was reading that we can purchase something over the counter before we go and get a prescription. Does anyone know what the brand is called and where I can find it?

TIA

14. michellelr

michellelr New Member

My daughter got a very bad yeast infection under her neck- confirmed by pediatrician. they prescribed nystatin and we went through a tube of it. the infection would go away and return. they then told me to mix nystatin and neosporin and this worked best. again this was for her neck area. when i called to get a script renewal for the nystatin they told me to use over the counter EXTERNAL MONISTAT cream. I have been using this and it works well. I also keep a layer of petroleum jelly as a barrier to moisture- this also recommended by pediatrician. calling the pediatrician first and getting their input is always the best thing.

15. orangeyaglad

tooks girls to the pedi turns out i was right (mamas know best!) and they both were a bit yeasty on their diaper rash. she prescribed Clotrimazole but turns out no pharmacy near us carries it so we bought it over the counter. it's in a tiny *** tube but we bought two. only need to apply twice a day! thanks for all the support!