when you eliminated the afternoon nap what time did you put your little ones to bed

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dezmitch, Oct 3, 2011.

1. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

So the afternoon nap was eliminated at our house -- why? Because DD will not take a nap and I was getting so worked up and frustrated with her so I just instituted a movie time during nap time which works out fine. They kids are out and sleeping by 7:30pm, BUT they are now up at 6:30am. I am scared to keep them up until 8pm because maybe they'll wake up earlier -- tell me your stories and what's worked for you to get your little ones to sleep in a little more. Should I put them to bed earlier?

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for us wake up time has little to do with what time we put our girls to bed. They can go to bed at 7pm and wake up between 6:30 and 7am, or we could put them to bed at 10pm and they will still wake up at the same time but just be tired and cranky. How old are your kiddos? For 3-6 year olds they need between 10-12 hours of sleep total for a 24 hour period. (for 1-3 its 12-14 hours).

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Try about 7:00 or 7:15 if that works for your family and see what happens. Sleep begets sleep (usually), so you'll see what happens there~!

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

6 to 6.30pm at first. Now is usually 7. I'd put them to bed earlier... In my experience putting them in bed later didn't change their wake up time, but by putting them in bed earlier they get more sleep, and don't seem to wake up earlier.

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

When we dropped the afternoon nap, I moved the morning nap back to about 12:30. Bedtime was 7, and my girls woke up about 6:30. Like the other posters, I didn't see any change in wake up time if I moved bedtime later. (sadly)

6. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

What time is your nap? Our schedule is 645 am wake up, 1230 - 3pm nap, with a 7/730pm bedtime. If they nap later (on weekends) they go to bed later. However, they don't necessarily sleep later.

7. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

With naps their bedtime was at 7:30 but it took them until 9-9:30 to fall asleep. I started putting them to bed at 6:00 for the first week, then 6:30. When they started waking at 6:30 a few weeks later(which was waaaay too early for me), I moved it to 7:00. 10 months after the end of naps, they go to bed at 8:00 and wake between 7:30-8:00. On average, they get about 11-12 hours of sleep at night which is the norm for their age.

8. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

We got rid of naps about 5 wks ago, because kids were waking up at 5am! At first we tried to put them to bed at same time 7pm (which was the bedtime when they were taking naps), that did NOT work, they were cranky all the time, because they still wake up at 6am! So, now in order to get them enough sleep I put them to bed at 6pm!! And, they sleep until 6am. I have tried and tried to get my kids to sleep past 6am, but it just doesn't work, that is their natural wake-up time no matter their bedtime! So, now I just put them to bed earlier and hopefully can stretch that out down the road.

Good luck

9. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

We have only ever had 1 naptime, usually it was around 1 PM and we'd put the girls to bed at 7. Once they started staying up for naps and not sleeping I took the nap away. They seemed to still want to stay up at 7 so we moved the bedtime to 8 and that is where they are now. They generally will go to sleep fine when we put them to bed although occasionally they do stay up talking. :p Luckily they sleep til about 8:30-9 am every day!