when were you able to sit at the park?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by miss_bossy18, Aug 21, 2010.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

the girls are getting pretty good at playing on the playground equipment safely. i usually feel pretty confident standing near the equipment & just keeping an eye out (with an occasional "sit. sit!! SIT!!!! okay, now go down the slide" from wherever i'm standing. Danika hasn't even tried to swan dive off of anything for months now. :good: i don't expect it will happen this year, but i feel like maybe next year i'll be able to graduate to sitting on a bench & watching them play.

how old were your kids when you were able to do that?

2. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I wish. I was actually jealous of a couple sitting on a bench watching their son play who looked younger than our twins the other day. I keep thinking maybe soon.

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It really depends on which park we are at whether I can actually sit. Now that they are older, they are on the bigger equipment which makes me too nervous to sit for long periods. Plus they need help on the monkey bars. Also, if the playground is not fenced in, I feel like I have to keep a better eye on Liam.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last summer when mine were 3.5 years old I was able to sit for a bit and just watch them play at the park. :)

5. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I remember saying the exact same thing last summer! I was so jealous of a friend at playdates who just got to sit (her daughter was a year older than mine)! And now, this summer, I can sit more than 75% of the time. Like someone else mentioned, it depends on the park. My kids are beginning to know their limits, but are also slightly adventurous...so there have been times I've had to 'spot' them or pull them down off high equipment. But, for the most part, I plop my lazy bum on a park bench, soak up the rays, & watch the kids have fun. I won't lie though, I have mini panic attacks when I can't find them right away. Why do parks have so many hiding places...tunnels, tunnel slides, climbing walls, etc!?!?

Hang in there. Last summer, when my boys were just 2, I did a lot of standing close by & supervising. This summer is WAY different. You'll love next summer...just wait!

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yep, I would say you are really close. Mine were just over 3 when I would sit for a bit and cheer them on. But it does depend on what park we are at.

7. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

I started to be able to do this this summer, so a few months before they turned 3. My default is to plop my butt on a bench, but I do have to get up at times to help them down a piece of equipment or to stop DS from climbing up the slide if others are waiting to go down, etc. They very rarely take off running away from the playground so even if I do have to help them a bit, I don't have to chase after them or worry about them running into the parking lot.

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it happened around 3 for me. Now, I spread a blanket in the grass & sit on it while they play & run back and forth from me to the equipment. On occasion, when I have had the big kids with me, I have even been able to look at a magazine, if the park wasn't crowded!

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

that is positively inspiring! :good:

:laughing:

10. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

we live across the street from a park so we go there every day (sometimes twice in a day!). it took a lot of trianing to get to that point, but they are really good at staying together--for the most part. but i've only recently started to sit down, and only when they're both playing w/sand or something that keeps them both on their tushies--otherwise, one will get up and go off somewhere.

it depends on the kids and on the park, i think.

gl!

11. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Living in Las Vegas we don't go to the park in the summer but the rest of the year. But this spring I would often sit down. I more got up to push in swings or help if they wanted something. Mine play safe and don't run off. I can't wait for the cooler weather and going to parks again. Hoepfully the end of September in the mornings.