when to switch to whole milk for preemies

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by calimom, Sep 23, 2010.

1. calimom

calimom Member

I am looking for some advice about when my twins should switch over to whole milk. They were born at 32 weeks and will turn 1 October 21st. They attend daycare and the daycare will be switching them to whole milk when they turn 1 unless I get a doctor's note that says they need formula/breast milk still until December 14th when they were supposed to be born (and turn 1).
    Anyone have any helpful information about the switch to whole milk with preemies????

2. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

My boys are 35 weekers and as soon as they hit 1 (not adjusted but actual) I started giving them whole milk. We have had no issues with rashes or any kind of allergies or tummy troubles.

Good luck and congrats on having almost toddlers!

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If they're growing well (formula has more calories) and they're ok with dairy, I'd probably make the switch too. I have a good friend who had a 32 weeker singleton and she switched him to cow's milk at a year (non-adjusted) no problem!

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree if they are growing well, etc- I would switch. When is your one year appointment? I waited until then with the boys and got the ok from the pedi. I think at that time, I may have been weaning off the formula, but they were still getting some formula with whole milk mixed in. Can't daycare wait until you meet with the pedi? I would think until then should be fine.

5. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

We are in the middle of this right now. My girls were 33 weekers and turn 1yr oct 2nd. We just had our pedi 1yr check up and he said to go ahead with the milk as of their birthday. He said as long as they are eating enough iron rich foods (meats mostly and the baby cereal) then they will be fine to be off the formula. They are measuring the weights and heights of a 10 month old, but he wasn't concerned with that at all. They have showed steady growth, meeting milestones and such. He specializes in preemies and I feel really comfortable with his advice so we will go ahead at 1 yr and switch.

6. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

Just visiting here...

My guys were 32 weekers too. We got the dr okay for whole milk at 1 year actual.
    We had no other issues, no milk allergy, they were not anemic, etc.

I still gave them breastmilk until they were 15 months. Rarely gave them "toddler" formula - more or less for long car rides when whole milk wasn't avail.

I would check with your dr first before going ahead to whole milk. Just in case there were any other special reasons why formula would be better.

7. calimom

calimom Member

Thanks for all the replies. We do have an appointment set up for their year check up. The daycare will not allow them to have any kind of special adjustments for prematurity without a doctor's note. The twins seem fine to eat small bits of regular food now but I think the doctor is still going to have them wait a bit for regular milk. I still plan on breastfeeding until their adjusted 1 year age but I can not make near enough milk anymore and have to supplement with something so we will see what the doctor says.
    Thanks again.

8. SC

SC Well-Known Member

My guys were born at 26w5d and just yesterday we got the okay from our ped to switch them to whole milk at one year actual. As much as I want to do this to get rid of the formula, I don't think they're ready yet. There is a comfort level with formula knowing that they get all of their necessary nutrition from it. With milk, we'll have to ensure that they're eating/drinking a balanced enough diet to get all of their daily nutrients and vitamins. So, just ask yourself whether you think your LOs will get adequate nutrition through what they're eating/drinking if you take them off of formula and you'll answer your own question as to when they are ready.

9. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Mine were 35 weekers and I switched when pedi told me it was okay...which was at 12 months, but I think I actually waited just a tad longer.