When to quit reflux meds?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by 2B2G, Feb 15, 2009.

1. 2B2G

2B2G Well-Known Member

My DD has been on prevacid forever. I feel like she's probably ready to be done, but when I skip a dose she starts spitting up again. I'm wondering how long your babies were on meds?

2. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My daughter was on meds until shortly after 6 months of age. We tried taking her off of them at 5 months and she started spitting up again, so we waited another month and it worked then. Maybe you need to wait a few more weeks and see what happens.

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My ds was on the meds until he was one years old. :good: I think he was ready earlier but we went out of the country for a bit and didn't want to risk it. I know it's hard to have them on meds, but if they aren't ready, it's okay. :hug: I hope your dd can get off them soon.

4. walker006

walker006 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure we took our dd off meds around 11 months.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

It was about 9 months for us. I have seen some on for over a year. Hang in there. Is she just spitting up or is she in pain?

6. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

My DS is still on them. Our pediatrician said to not be in a hurry to get them off reflux meds because there is a link between untreated reflux and asthma. He said it'll probably be okay to get him off of them around 1 year.

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

Emma was on them until 9 months, Jake until 14 months. If she is still spitting up, I would be inclined to keep her on them.

8. mandyanna

mandyanna Well-Known Member

My DD Sarah is still on Prevacid. We know when we have missed a dose she has terrible reflux and just cries. Our ped says we will try to otake her off around 24 months.

9. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Annelise was on meds until about 6 months (4 months adjusted) and Karina was on them until about 11 months (9 months adjusted).