When do you take a toddler in?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cheezewhiz24, Aug 21, 2013.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My baby has pretty sensitive skin and now has a diaper rash that won't go away. I've done cream (a mix of Desitin, Vaseline, Hydrocortisone and Mylanta!) religiously, powder in case it's a yeast-related rash and plenty of naked time. I've even squirted some breastmilk on her bum today. It's not going away and she has a couple raw spots.

I'm wondering if I have to take her in but it feels so silly for a diaper rash!

Help.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Michelle, this was my daughter, she had sensitive skin and would frequently get nasty diaper rashes. Usually Mylanta would clear it up for her. It seems like you've gone through every idea. I would say if nothing is working, I would take her in.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Agreed. Poor bum. :(

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I would take her in too!

DS had a few nasty diaper rashes and I was able to get a compound cream that worked miracles.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Michelle, let us know how you make out.
    I forgot to add, one of the things the pediatrician had us try was Lotrimin, it did help.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Honestly, in your case, I'd take her in and get the Rx, it would cost less than buying Monistat or Lotrimin OTC. Do you have a triage nurse at the pediatrician you can call?

7. cheezewhiz24

We will go in, if there isn't any improvement when she gets up this morning.

It will cost more as we for pay all visits for Ben, Annabelle and I out of pocket (high deductible plan). I'm guessing around $80.

There isn't a triage nurse that I know of at the practice- it's small with one doc and one nurse.

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If it's a yeast infection then lotrimin or monistat is what we had to use, I keep a tube of each for my girls. Girls get them far more than my boys ever did :(

9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh, in that case, go buy some generic Lotrimin and some generic Monistat and try both on her before taking her in. I thought all of you were on the same health insurance plan. :)

10. cheezewhiz24

Thanks ladies! I will go get some anti fungal meds. <-- ew.

Nope. It's only the boys who have our insurance + Medicaid. :)

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Do you know WHY she is getting them? My twins would get an instant diaper rash/red bum when grandma gave them juice. My mom did not understand this, even with physical evidence. She took care of them two days a week. Everyone else gave you some good advice after the fact, but trying to avoid the rashes completely would be my goal. Good luck! I hope some cream works.

12. cheezewhiz24

She hasn't had a rash in a while, but yeah, apple juice and too much fruit/raisins def don't help. It may be her canines- she was teething last week although she doesn't complain about it too much.

As of the weekend she is almost 100% better. No wounds anymore and the old ones are very faded. I'm not sure if its the Lotrimin, diaper cream, switching back to Up and Up diapers, or wiping the pee off diligently where she had raw skin (or all of these) but I am so happy she's better!

1 person likes this.
  13. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I'm glad she's better! I was almost in the same position with Livie last week and I think switching back to Up and Up diapers helped hers clear up as well. My mom always buys Huggies for the girls so I may keep track of future rashes to see if that's part of our problem.

14. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I would take her in. U can try to give her probiotics daily. It helped my daughter.

Also, now I remember her pedi prescribed 1 cream (the name starts with Raisino(???)Something) it's not rx. But best cream ever. Applied 1, it went away in couple hours. U can go to pharmacy and ask. A jar is 8 bucks. It looks like raspberry cream cheese lol. Doesn't smell bad. We always bought it for over a yr. we stopped after they were potty trained. Strongly suggest it!!! Their pedi said its the best.

15. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I just read this, my daughter gets them if we switch diapers or her juice isn't watered down. We have a prescription for nystatin but lotrimin/monistat is the same thing. The other thing we do that soothes her little bum and helps it is baking soda baths. My grandmother and mother in law recommended it and I asked my pedi, she said to do it! So we do them 1-2x a day when she has a rash like that. Hopefully she stays feeling better!