When do you stop burping babies?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twinboys07, Nov 4, 2007.

1. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Silly new mom question:

It just occurred to me that at some point you no longer have to burp your babies. When does that happen and how do you know? I am sure it's not anytime soon, but I am looking forward to it... ;)

2. imlodog

imlodog Well-Known Member

i want to say it was somewhere in the vicinity of 7-9 months. when they were crawling and active, it didn't seem necessary anymore.

good luck!

Lois

3. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

Dependson the child of course but we mostly stopped around 6-7 months, usually just sitting them up made them burp at this point. I still burp occasionally during a feed if the seem especially squirmy and think they might need a good release :)

4. shannonfilteau

shannonfilteau Well-Known Member

I wish I knew b/c my DS will throw up if we don't burp him before putting him down on the floor after he's eaten. Although my DD seems to be burping herself in the highchair alot more these days so hopefully soon for my DS too!!!

5. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I know this sounds awful, but I only burped them when they acted funny after like 2 months or so. They learned to burp quick!

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine were about 9 months when they started doing it on their own. I still burp them at night after their last bottle (if they dont do it first) so they dont go to bed with all that air in there.

7. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Somewhere around 8.5-9 months when they were sitting very well and burping a lot while they were sitting. I figure they were getting it out on their own and seemed to be doing a good job at it. :D

8. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Right around the time they start sitting....mine can *almost* make it through a whole feeding without needing to be burped, but not quite.

But, I can put them in Bumbos after they're done, and they will burp on their own while sitting there....try that, if you haven't already! It really saves time. :)

9. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I guess I have early self-burpers. Both of my girls are burping on their own and have been since about 5 months. They sit up on their own, so I think this helps.

They used to absolutely need to be burped half way through a meal and then again at the end, but now they can go the full meal without a burp. Then, I sit them up in their Boppy pillows or put them in the exersaucer and they burp within a few minutes on their own. It sure makes meal time so much easier not to have to try for a burp!

10. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

For my three, I stopped around 5 months old. They still burped themselves every now and then but they didn't need me to do it for them.

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

The ladies are almost 8 months old and we are still burping. We don't stop in the middle anymore unless they seem to need it (squirmy), but will burp them at the end. However, I've noticed that if we don't get all the burps out at the end of a bottle, they will sometimes burp while playing (sitting up or rolling around on the floor). Not sure when we'll stop... right now after a bottle they seem uncomfortable until we burp them.

12. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

At 2 months our PED said not to burp them anymore. He said it would aggravate the reflux. He was right! They started spitting less and never complain about gas. Usually I stand them up on my lap right after they eat and I get a huge burp. If it doesn't happen, we do not press the issue. Usually a little while later, we will hear a huge burp!