When do we start rice?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jnholman, Feb 15, 2010.

1. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

My boys have either a bean or potato at dinner and I want to add rice. When I start adding brown rice? They have 7 teeth each and are getting used to different textures of food.

Silly question I know.

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can start brown rice whenever you like. It's soft, not likely a choking hazard & fairly bland, so it's a great food for them. But be prepared for the mess! Whenever I feed my kids rice it ends up all over the floor & it is a real pain to get it all cleaned up. Because of that, I rarely serve it to them!

3. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

I've been giving it since they were about 8mos, along with tiny little pasta noodles. They have no problems with it at all. I mix it in w/ their baby food, but if your guys are doing a lot of self-feeding then yeah, be prepared for the mess!

Eve

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine have been eating rice with us for a couple months now, I don't let them self feed it though, too messy! :) They love when I make chicken and rice casserole!

5. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I make a broccoli, cheese, rice casserole that they like. Other than that, mine don't have rice because it's so messy.