When do they transition to awake times longer than 90 mins?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JMB, Oct 6, 2010.

1. JMB

JMB Active Member

My guys are almost 5 months, 3.5 months adjusted and we are still following the general guideline of putting them down for naps around 90 minutes after they last woke up. This has worked beautifully for us, and when we put them down they often sleep for 1.5 or 2 hours, but we can count on a minimum of 45 minutes. I don't want to fix what isn't broken, but I'm wondering when your twins went to actual set naptimes, or at least when you could do longer stretches of awake time. It would be nice to start having more of a 'schedule' and less of a 'routine.' They sleep really well at night and go down at around 8pm get up for one feeding around 3-5am and then up for the day at 7am. Thanks!

2. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

I don't remember the timing (it all blurs together now) but we just stuck with the "routine" until the same routine turned into a schedule naturally, if that makes sense. They started being more consitent in their sleep times during the day that their naps fell into place. When they were consistent enough to pin point the times I started putting them down at the times rather than the routine times. I'm also a big believer in don't fix what's not broken :)

3. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

With all 3 of my kids I didn't get a "schedule" until they were about 8 months old and doing 2 naps a day. That was when my nap times became set regardless of when they woke up in the morning or from the previous nap.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

It was around 5.5 months when I noticed that they didn't want to go down around 90 minutes. It gradually has stretched longer. I put them on a set nap schedule about a month and a half ago - before that I went by their signals, and they were sporadic and often only catnapped. Once I put them on a schedule (around 7.5-8 months), they started napping longer.

5. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

As Kristin said, I just started a routine of eat, play, sleep until it started turning into a schedule. I've had a schedule for the end of the day since they started solids, and it's begun to help get the rest of the day regulated as well. They always tend to go down for a nap around the same time but would never wake up at the same time. Now that they've begun transitioning from three to two naps, I'm finding that (thankfully) they seem to be napping longer and at more regular times.

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Six months is when we were sttn. That's when things were more scheduled and I was able to plan better. By then we were working towards two hours from wake up time for their next nap. I found once they were sttn, everything else just fell into place-and made life so much more easier!