When do they get Whole Milk?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, May 21, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my pedi still hasn't said anything about transitioning them to whole milk and they'll be 1 in a few days. my next well visit isn't until after their 1st birthday. (haven't made the appt yet).

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Usually, as long as they have no issues with their size, doctors okay the switch to whole milk at 1. Some doctors will give the okay even earlier for some babies. But it won't hurt to keep them on the formula until you see the doctor again & can ask his/her opinion.

3. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

do they transition or just switch right oveR?

4. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

i would recommend transitioning. if you're bottle feeding you can replace one sippy/bottle per day for a few days. we transitioned over several weeks.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've done it both ways, cold turkey & slower transition. If you want to transition them, you can mix it half with formula for awhile to get them used to it & make sure it isn't going to upset their tummies.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto pp's! :D

We transitioned early with all my kids, and I always did 1/4 milk, 3/4 formula, then half and half, then 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula until I used my last can of formula up. Can't waste that expensive stuff.

7. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

This week we have been giving the boys 1/2 formula 1/2 whole milk in their bottles (which they've tolerated very well). Next week we will change it to 1/4 formula and 3/4 whole milk. And then we'll be DONE with mixing formula forever - wooohooo! :banana:

8. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

We never mixed milk and formula. We just started to offer small sippies of milk in addition to bottles of formula around 11 months, just so he would get used to it. Then we dropped one formula bottle a week (5/day the first week, 4/day the next, and so forth) and eliminated bottles entirely within a week or two of his first birthday. I don't remember doing a 1-1 replacement of milk to formula - we just offered sippies of milk and water around meal and snack times, I think. I do think it's better to eliminate bottles early - they get mighty attached to them if you wait!