When do I stop burping them after bottles?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by marcymiller, Mar 15, 2009.

1. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

Or, do I ever stop burping them as long as they take bottles? Several people have asked me recently (after helping me feed), "are you still burping them?" I didn't realize a point would come when I would/could/should stop. What did you do or any advice would be helpful! Thanks!!

2. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I would say that if you are burping them & they aren't spitting up, then you should be fine just to stop all together. I think we stopped maybe around 6 months with no problem. Half of the time, once they sit up, the burp themselves.

3. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure when I should stop burping mine but I gave it a try a few weeks ago and I haven't had any problems since. Since they didn't react differently or get fussy afterwards I thought it was all right to stop it for good.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Once mine started doing it on their own a bit more regularly :blush: I stopped. I would say around the 8 or 9 month mark.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We burped until nearly a year because if we didn't Ana would spit up way more than normal. But once they are more mobile and you notice they are burping on their own, you can probably stop.

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I think I stopped when they started solids or maybe even a little earlier. My boys are great burpers and learned how to do it themselves pretty early. Maybe try stopping with all but the before bed feeding (or nighttime if they are not STTN) and see if they burp on their own.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We stopped burping around 9-10 month mark, that was when they really started to do it on their own.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We stopped around 6-7 months, when they could sit up. Generally, once they can sit up, they no longer need to be burped, because they can do it on their own.

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i don't burp by babies anymore, per se, although i still always put them upright for at least a couple of minutes after nursing - if they have any air to bring up, they usually do it on their own. i've been doing that since they were about 6 months old.

10. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think after they are sitting up on their own, unassisted. At that point they just burp when they need to burp, like we do.

11. becky5

becky5 Guest

We had reflux, so we burped forever it seems. But, I think with non-refluxers, once they can sit up well, they can generally burp themselves after a bottle.

12. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We also stopped when they were sitting up unassisted and could do it on their own.

13. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

We stopped at 6 months when they stopped burping when we tried. They usually burp on there own now. Every so often I still try to burp with no luck.

14. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I guess they can do it on their own now. Sheesh.... I would probably done it for the entire first year w/out knowing any better! What would I do w/out TS!

15. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(here we go! @ Mar 15 2009, 01:23 PM) [snapback]1229177[/snapback]
    Thanks for the input! Yeah, I guess they can do it on their own now. Sheesh.... I would probably done it for the entire first year w/out knowing any better! What would I do w/out TS!

Silly, you'd still be burping them when you put their backpacks on for Kindergarten!

16. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I think I quit with all 3 of mine around 8 months. After that they would get down and play and burp whenever they needed to.

17. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(here we go! @ Mar 15 2009, 07:55 AM) [snapback]1228804[/snapback]
    Or, do I ever stop burping them as long as they take bottles? Several people have asked me recently (after helping me feed), "are you still burping them?" I didn't realize a point would come when I would/could/should stop. What did you do or any advice would be helpful! Thanks!!

I asked the same question recently at my neo-natal followup. The nurse said nobody had ever asked her that question before...lol. She didn't give me an answer, but I usually sit my two up in front of me when they are done drinking, and they burp. If they are sleepy I usually rub their backs.