When did your twins start walking?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by JoannaD, Sep 24, 2011.

?

When did your twins start walking?

1. 10 months or earlier

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. 11 months

16 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. 12 months

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. 13 months

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  5. 14 months

13 vote(s)
    18.1%
  6. 15 months

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. 16 months

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. 17 months

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. 18 months

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  10. 19 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 20 months

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. 21 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 22 months or later

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

When did your twin start walking? DS1 started walking at 10 months, but now my twins are 15 months old and DS2 is no where near close to walking. He'll stand and cruise on the furniture, walk pushing a chair, walk holds our hands, and walk holding one hand. But if we try to get him to stand without holding onto something, he falls down immediately. He can't stand and keep his balance on his own for even a second. I'm trying not to worry as he's always been a little bit behind on motor skills like lifting his head, sitting up, crawling on all fours, etc. They have their 15 month check up on Tuesday, so we'll ask the doctor about it then. I joke that I'm ok with DS2 not walking since it means I don't have to worry about two walking toddlers yet, but I am starting to get worried that it seems like we're no where near him walking yet.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Neither of my girls started until 14 months (there were earlier attempts that ended in split lips & made them both gun shy) From what I understand they won't even be concerned until the 18 month mark. Let us know what your doc says.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DD was walking somewhere between 10-11 months. I'm not sure exactly when...I just know by Thanksgiving of her first year, she was walking. My DS took his first steps at 12 months but did not start walking until he was 14 months old.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My boys took their first un-encouraged step around 11 months, and were walking well by 11.5 months.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Audrey started walking just when she turned 13 months and Clayton started walking at the end of 13 months. My youngest son did not start walking until he was 14.5 months and at first he cried when he did it as if he was mad at himself.

6. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

My boys were days away from 16 months when they walked. But it happened literally overnight. They just up and walked one day. :)

7. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I voted 17/18 months but that is on first steps. Confident walking (where they would choose to walk rather than crawl the majority of the time) took them another 3-4 weeks. Both sets were born 2 months early though, so if you adjust for that they were 15/16 months on first steps and 16/17 on proper walking.

I wouldn't say that your son is "nowhere close" if he's cruising and happy to walk pushing something or holding hands. It sounds like he just needs to get his confidence up and then he'll be off.

Also 15 months is not late for walking, he would not be considered delayed. I was taught that, as a guideline, 60% of children walk by 15 months and over 90% by 18 months (although this was quite a few years back, so it's possible that those figures have been revised) that's why most doctors won't be concerned until 18 months. Of course there's no harm bringing it up at their appointment to get your doctors opinion.

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest son was 13 months, my oldest daughter was 15 months, my twin son was 11 months and my twin daughter was 13 months :) I agree it doesn't hurt to bring it up but I'm sure they won't be concerned until he's 18 months, especially since he's doing all the "pre-walking" stuff he just hasn't gotten the confidence to take that first step! :)

9. JoannaD

That's good to know!

I guess I say nowhere near close because he won't even stand on his own right now. I think that's what I'm most concerned about. He just doesn't seem to have the strength in his ankles to support himself without holding on to anything. He drops immediately to the floor when you try to get him to stand. But I was worried about the strength in his wrists before he started crawling on all fours and now he motors around like that with no issues in his wrists. I try to tell myself not to worry, but its hard!

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys were late bloomers and didn't start until nearly 18 months. I think they took their first steps around 14 months and then didn't go for it again for another 3 months. They were really confident crawlers (which was also a late development) and had no use for walking. So from a timing perspective, there's no reason to worry yet. Mine also flopped to the floor when we tried to get them to do things because they can be stubborn little beasts and don't do anything until they're darn good and ready ;) .

However; if you think that there's a physical issue, there's no harm in getting him evaluated. Sometimes kids have low muscle tone or other issues going on and physical therapy can help out. Chances are that everything is just fine, but don't be afraid to ask just in case he does need a little help :)

11. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I wish my two had waited that long!! :laughing: One of mine was walking at 9 months, the other at 10 months.

12. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry yet. Wyatt was the same way and then literally within like 4 days he was standing on his own and now he is walking everywhere. Just like one day something clicked.

13. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Mine were 13 months old. Jacob just stood up one day and took steps. Henry, not to be out done, followed him. There was a lot of pulling up for the longest time but they didn't let go until 13 months. I've been exhausted ever since.

14. Silly_Putty

Silly_Putty Well-Known Member

We are at about 14.5 months. They are both great at pushing around walker toys, chairs, cruising, etc. They can both let go of stuff and stand briefly. In the last few days, Emma has started to stand up on her own (unassisted by people, toys, furniture, or anything else) and shuffle her feet a little. Then she's down. Eli is getting close but still can't stand without using something, but he's kind of stepped from the couch to the table.

I can't say we've worked hard on getting them to learn to walk and, frankly, I'm in no hurry to have two walkers!! But at the same time, it bothers me that we're starting to get the "they're not walking yet?" comments. I walked at a little over a year, my husband was close to two! Or so his mom says...she also says she's had her bird for 20 years and I remember them getting it about 10 years ago. He was probably about one and a half or something.

15. JoannaD

Yup, we're getting those comments too, which doesn't help. It bothers me too and people like to compare my two since Ethan walked so much earlier.

:lol: My MIL is similar, but goes the opposite way. First, DH walked at 10 months, then he walked at 9 months, then he walked at 8 months :lol:

Thanks girls! It helps to hear about later walkers, especially with the later standing independently.

16. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

DD2 started at 10 months. DD1 at 13 months.

17. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

My boys will be 14 months on Friday and neither are walking yet. They cruise around the furniture and walk with walking toys or while holding our hands but really don't let go and try to take steps on their own. They will let go and lean on something with no hands but really don't stand on their own without holding on to something. They've both just started having enough confidence to walk while we only hold one hand and stand at their side.

18. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ryder walked at 10 months and Reese at 11 monthes...this seemed weird to me because they were so tiny it just looked strange and also because my daughter Sophia didnt walk until her 1st birthday.

19. Twin nanny

Is he bearing weight on his legs when standing up holding onto things? When he walks holding your hands you're not having to take all his weight? (I can't even imagine that would be possible holding just one hand.) If he's holding his own weight when holding onto things then he must have strength in his ankles.

It's possible that he has low muscle tone or something, there's no harm in getting him checked out for your peace of mind. I bet it turns out he's just going at his own pace but if there is a problem then you'll be getting him the help he needs. I know it's hard not to worry though, and especially with comparisons to a twin who walked so early!

1 person likes this.
  20. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My boys both started walking the day they turned 15 months

21. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My girl started at 13 months. My boys took first step at 14 months. By the end of 14th months, they both started running

22. JoannaD

Thanks girls! We had their 15 month check up today and like you all said, the doctor wasn't too concerned since he's doing all the pre-walking stuff, especially with how active he was crawling around, pulling up, and cruising in the office. DS2 just seems to be developing at his own pace. With the way he kicks his legs, we do joke that he's going to run, not walk once he figures it all out.

1 person likes this.
  23. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Joanna, I am glad to hear everything is fine with Chase, I am sure he's going to walk soon also.

Both Max and Vanessa were taking few steps here and there, but yesterday they started walking a lot, and they aren't falling anymore, so I guess we can say they are walking now. Max started to walk a lot since morning and in the afternoon Vanessa started to walk also. It's funny how both of them started to walk on the same day, which was also my husband's birthday :). It's also funny since both of them were born the same weight and they were the same weight at their 12 months check-up too. They will be 13 months next week. I was so afraid of them starting to walk in 2 different directions at once, but it's also very cute to see them walk and become little children. To be honest, as I am typing this, I realized it's a bit bittersweet for me, how fast they are growing, I guess they aren't babies anymore, huh :)?

24. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

The only downside of this poll, is that I can't do it twice! Miss O was walking at 9 months and Gavin started walking a week after his first birthday. Mind you....Gavin didn't even start crawling until he was nearly 11 months! He was my lazy bones.

25. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

1 at 12 months, one at 18.

26. brynclaire

brynclaire Member

My oldest twin walked at 15 months and the youngest twin not until 20 months. I had 0-3 program come in and said there was nonthing wrong with him expect for being layed back and his twin doing everything for him and getting everything for him. A week before PT was suppose to start he just started walking like he know all along. Every kid is different, so I wouldn't worry about it.

27. Twin nanny

Glad to hear the doctor wasn't worried. I bet he takes off soon enough, then you'll be looking back and wondering why you ever thought it was a bad thing to have one not walking! :)

28. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

my girls took their first steps at 8months and were running around by 9! crazy, yes!

29. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

I have four - two sets. two girls walked at 14 months, one at 14.5 months (and now three weeks later is almost running!) and my late bloomer boy at 18 months.

30. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

My girls were about 12 months when they started walking.

31. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my son took his first steps on his first birthday but preferred the "walk 3, drop and crawl like a demon" for a few weeks - Abby on the other hand waited until 2 weeks after her birthday and just let go of the walking toy one day and that was it - she never crawled again after that!

32. annahs

annahs Well-Known Member

Our doctor likes to tell all the families he sees that he didn't start walking until he was 22 months :)

33. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Jazz walked at 10 months and jessy at 16 months. With jessys heart issue she just didn't have the muscle tone. She still has tiny bird legs.

34. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

Mine both went to their 15 months pedi not walking..within 2 weeks they both were..and one had just started pulling to stand and letting go maybe 3 weeks prior. It seemed like they went from doing nothing to walking overnight!

35. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

They sat up at 7 months (6 adjusted) but didn't crawl til a few days before their 1st birthday and didn't walk until they were 16 months. They pretty much never rolled over - LOL - so they did start receiving PT thru the Early Intervention program at 1 year of age. I think they just weren't in a hurry to move...were very content to sit and play. :)