When did your babies start tolerating more awake time

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by dezmitch, Mar 18, 2009.

1. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

My 7 1/2 month old twins can tolerate about 2 hours of awake time during the day then it's time for a nap. I'm looking forward to when they can spend more time up with me without turning into cranky pants -- they are so much fun right now. When did your little ones start tolerating 3 hours at a time without being cranky?

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

When they went to 2 naps around 9 months they were awake longer and more pleasant.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

About 8 months for us.

4. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I agree 8/9 months for us. I do have to say it was something we worked on. I started stretching it out 15 min at a time until we got closer to 3 hours in between naps.

5. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for the same thing. I tried pushing it to 2 1/2 hours last week and by 2 hours 15 minutes, DS seriously looked drunk...he was leaning back, almost falling over sitting up, and half closing his eyes...so I gave in and put them to bed. They know the 2 hour mark too well, and if we venture pastm they either start to fall asleep playing or get cranky. Maybe I'll try 15 min intervals like pp said, but for now, I let them go back to 2 hours.

6. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I honestly don't remember the age specifically but I do remkember wondering if it would ever come.It really felt like a LONG time. It made getting out and running errands a lot harder.

I hope theirtime stretches out soon.

OT:your ticker pic is so cute!!

7. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

For those of you that responded - or those that are responding -- did the awake time naturally happen? One person mentioned they had to work on it and stretch them out by 15 minutes....or should I just go with the flow for now since they are only a few months away from doing this.

Twoplustwo -- thanks for the comment on the picture! :lol:

8. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I worked on it because 3 naps were not working out, so I needed to work to transition to 2 naps and the only way to do that was to keep them awake longer.

9. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I don't remember when it happened or trying to make it happen. I guess it just happened naturally. It had to be around 9 months though b/c I remember them only having 2 naps when we went on a vacation toward the end of that month. Hang in there. They will tell you if they are tired or not.

10. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

We just transitioned to 2 naps last week. We were having construction done on the house, and everything was a little crazy and out of order for a few days. then I realized that they had only taken 2 naps! One of the girls seems to need 2 or 3 depending on how long her first nap is...but generally it has been 2. I did notice that they sleep a little longer at night though (12.5 hours sometimes close to 13 before they wake me up to eat...although I know that they spend some time playing beofre they are ready to eat). Before the constructiuon, I noticed that one of the girls was not interested in as many naps, and they were sleeping at different times :blink: and I was afraid the transition would be really difficult. But I think they are both ready now. gl!

11. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

At 6 months we went to 2 naps, but really for a long time the length they were awake did not necessarly increase because we had to move bedtime up to account for the transition. It was around 9 months that they woke at 7am, nap at 9am, nap at 1pm and bedtime at 6:30pm.

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ours went to 2 naps at 6 months but they slowly began to tolerate more awake time as they got older, we did not do anything to make it happen, ours just did it on their own.