When did you stop burping your babies?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mwarner, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mwarner

mwarner Active Member

Our girls are nearly 8 months and I still burp them after bottles, but I'm wondering whether it's really necessary anymore? Periodically they both let out HUGE burps when I am burping them, but other times I don't get anything and they burp on their own up to an hour later.

2. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

we stopped burping when the boys were able to sit up on their own and roll/scoot/creep. that was probably in the neighborhood of 7 or 8 months. the way i saw it, if they were able to sit up and crunch that tummy, or roll around and exert pressure on their own stomachs, they were able to burp on their own. never had a problem.

we still burped them at night before bed, just because they were usually sleepy and weren't working out their own bubbles.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't remember for sure but it was probably around 9-10 months or so, when they started getting down off our lap as soon as they finished their bottles.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We stopped once they were able to sit well on their own. I found that if they weren't laying down all the time, they seemed to be able to burp on their own.

5. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

when they were able to sit well in the exersaucer (aka automatic burping machine) :FIFblush:

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Probably right around the time they were really sitting up well-so between six and seven months. And my kids-all of 'em-were big spitters! I stopped forcing the spit-up out! :laughing: