When did you start taking your twins outside?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by orlandojennifer, Aug 26, 2009.

1. orlandojennifer

orlandojennifer Well-Known Member

Hi all new to the first year!

My little guys went for their first checkup yesterday,and LOVED the stroller ride to the office.

Since Ive had them home I havent left the nursery,and I have been keeping them quiet here.They are doing great,and both are gaining well and weigh 5.3 and 5.0 now,just 20 days after birth (discharge weight was 4.2 and 4.3)

Im here alone as my hubby is still away untill october,and I need to get outside for a little air...luckily I have lost all my pregnacy weight plus 2 pounds(breastfeeding the best diet plan ever!),but since I was on bedrest for so long I need to tone up a little(well alot)My Doctor tells me to walk,but my boys doctor wont give me an answer he just says "when your comfortable"

I dont want to take them in "public" yet just for a walk ....

you think its ok?

When did you start taking the out?
    Thanks J

2. lromansky

lromansky Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 32 weeks and I took them home from the NICU a month later and the doctors there (as well as the pediatrician) told me that they had no problem with my taking them on walks in the neighborhood in the stroller. They said the outside was fine, just to be careful of toddlers and children not to approach them. And obviously they shouldn't be outside in really hot weather.

They said that until they were 3 months of age we shouldn't bring them to any public indoors places - like the mall or grocery store, etc. We waited until they were 4 months to do that.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

Hi Jennifer, :welcome: to the FY!

I think it's fine to take them on short walks around the block, as long as they don't get to hot in this darn FL heat! I would try and keep them away from the masses(malls, public places), as they still are so tiny.

4. orlandojennifer

Is that 3 months from their birth or 3 months from their due date?
    Thank you for the advise,even though these are my 4&5 dont have preemie experience!

5. orlandojennifer

Yeah...Im thinking evening strolls when the seabreze is kicking up...my favorite time of the day,Im sure you know what I mean! :)

6. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

I took mine outside for a walk at around one month I think, give or take a week. We took them to the mall for the first time between 6-8 weeks. Mine were born at 38 weeks in December and although I was hesitant to take them out, we found awesome car seat covers to keep them warm and bundled them like snow bunnies. At least the weather is on your side provided it's early morning or late afternoon and not too hot. We walked all the time for fresh air and a change of scenery, it took their mind off feeding and gave me a break because they loved it so much. I say go for it!

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

Perfect! Yes, that is about the only time of day that we go outside this time of year!

PS. How old are your older 3?

8. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I think it's fine to take them outside for a walk, but I would avoid crowded placed. I remember we did take ours to Babies 'R Us when they were 5 days old. Other than that and to the doctors office and lactation clinic, we didn't go much in the beginning.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Same here. We didnt take them to public places until after RSV season since they were preemies. I say get out and walk, but like Becky said, be careful of them getting overheated. They dont sweat like an adult that young so they can get overheated fast in the FL heat.

:welcome: to the First Year.

I live in Orlando too! Mine were born at Winnie. I think yours were too??

10. orlandojennifer

My son is 18 and in school here @ UCF,my husband and I have 2 girls 6 and 16 months!

11. orlandojennifer

My 16 month old was born there(winnie),but the twins were born @ Florida south! I LOVED IT THERE,my beloved Dr Al-Malt is a Florida Hospital doc....so we had to go there.

Are you a memeber of GOMoTT?

12. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Mine were born in early February and it was nasty and snowy for most of February and March, so it was hard to get them out. I think we took them to Target at 4 weeks and got some walks in in March. I would just take them out for walks now unless there's some extreme weather to be concerned about.

13. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

My was baorn at 37w3d and we take them out for a walk when they was 3 weeks. I would take them before but first week - in the hospital, second I just put them in the stroller on the porch and try to figure out the feeding schedule, and on the 3rd week we went for a walk.

14. eliseypoo7147

eliseypoo7147 Well-Known Member

I waited until my twins reached their due date, and then we took them everywhere. I really had no choice though, being by myself and not trusting babysitters...