When did you start seeing a perinatologist?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by tiggrrl72077, Oct 7, 2007.

?

When did you start seeing a perinatologist?

1. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1 - 12 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 13 - 16 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 16 - 20 weeks

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. 21 - 24 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 24 - 28 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 29 - 32 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 33 - 36 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 36 - 40 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tiggrrl72077

tiggrrl72077 Well-Known Member

I am just wondering when it's normal to start seeing a Peri? Or if not everyone even does.

2. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

If we hadn't started having problems, I would never have seen one. We started at 19w1d.

3. Stephanie1074

Stephanie1074 Well-Known Member

Well, I am 34 weeks and 5 days and still no Peri. I did change doctors though because my first one seemed inexperienced with twins. The one I have now is GREAT! I have no concerns about his ability to take care of anything we come across... Although so far things with the babies has been going well... Only my SPD (pelivc Separation) has been an issue.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I voted 1-12 weeks. I started seeing one at the same time as my regular OB. No particular reason though, just due to having twins. Not high risk other than that. But I loved going there because they did an u/s at every visit. :)

ETA:I saw a peri and my regular OB.

5. pink and blue mom

pink and blue mom Well-Known Member

I never had to see one. My OB said that as long as my twins were in seperate sacs she would keep me as her patient.

6. ferfischer

ferfischer Well-Known Member

we wouldn't have at all, except we started having TTTS trouble. so, 18 weeks for us.

jenny

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't see one, my OB handles everything. When I asked about going to one she said it would be a waste of both my time and the peri's....my pregnancy has been too uneventful! (not upset about that!)

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I started seeing one around 25 weeks when my OB felt that she could no longer adequately handle my care. She wanted LOTS of ultrasounds and my insurance was being lame. I was also having lots of contractions and she was not comfortable giving me the meds I needed so early. So she felt that the best solution was for me to see a peri who could do ALL my monitoring. It was hard, but the best solution in the end. She called our house the day we got home from the hospital, almost 11 weeks later, to check in on us even though we had not had any contact after 25 weeks.

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

I started seeing a peri immediately after I found out it was twins, which was 21 weeks! I was not high-risk, it was just due to the twin factor! I actually felt much better about being monitored so frequently by both.

10. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

My OB has twins, and I never saw a peri for regular appointments. I went to one appointment with a peri to have an amnio, but that was it. My OB sends all of her twin patients there is they decide to have an amnio since she doesn't do them very often and wants to make sure they go to someone experienced. Otherwise, no problems, no peri.

11. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We went at 8 weeks but we were pg with quads so I think thats why. I continued only with the peri for the remainder of the pg and never saw a regular ob.

12. betseeee

betseeee Well-Known Member

I saw my OB for all my regular appointments, but went to the peri starting around 18 weeks I think for Level II ultrasounds, which we did every 3-4 weeks, I believe. Once I went into PTL and was admitted to the high risk unit, all my care was from the peri.

13. ErickaK

ErickaK Well-Known Member

With my son I started seeing a peri along with my OB at 12 weeks. I had GD and needed a pessary cerclage at 22 weeks.

With this pregnancy, I never bothered to see an OB, went straight to a peri instead. I was in his care until about 28 weeks and without even knowing it was released to the OB instead. Diagnosed GD at 30 weeks and got a stitch cerclage at 13 weeks. I will be delivering in just uner 3 weeks.

14. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

I saw the Peri at my very first visit...at 7 weeks...I knew we were expecting twins at that point...(IVF) ....I have seen him every visit since. There are other OB's in the practice....I only see them if I go to the hospital and it is their call day.

Good luck!

Missy

15. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

I was 12w1d at my first peri appt. Prior to that, I saw my RE. I never saw an OB/GYN with my pregnancy.

16. KimsTwins

KimsTwins Well-Known Member

I started seeing my Peri at 10 weeks. I have Grave's Disease, so they wanted to monitor very closely. However, I didn't know I was having twins until 14 weeks!!!! I see him every other week, and he's great.

17. navywife2bmom

navywife2bmom Well-Known Member

so far i have only seen a peri once at my 17 week ultrasound. for the Level 2. and havnt seen one since.

18. Erin92702

Erin92702 Active Member

I will have my first appointment with the Peri tomorrow, at 16 weeks. I'll see both the peri and my regular OB for the rest of my pregnancy.

My twins are monochorionic, meaning they share a chorionic sac and a placenta (but do each have their own amniotic sac), so there are specific risks to be monitored for. If my twins were both dichorionic and diamniotic, I would not be having the coordinating care with the Peri.

19. SommerNyte

SommerNyte Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Beth*J @ Oct 7 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]439546[/snapback]
    If we hadn't started having problems, I would never have seen one. We started at 19w1d.

Ditto, except we started at 25 weeks. It was due to growth discordance.

20. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Never, easy conception, easy previous full term pregnancy, easy and smooth twin pregnancy, also full term with 2 babies who consistently measured 2 weeks ahead and were born only 12 days early but average singleton weights.

21. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

we found out we were having twins at 8 weeks so we just had regular apts with our ob and our peri every month, i loved it we got to see ultra sounds at every apt and take home pictures. :)