When did you start giving your LO's Puffs?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kyrstyn, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls have been on Solid foods for a couple months now. Don't let my ticker fool you, they were 3 months premature so they are just over 6 months adjusted. How do you know when they are ready for Puffs? Neither one of them has any teeth just yet. I just don't want them to choke.

2. Chase&Parker's Mommy

Chase&Parker's Mommy Well-Known Member

I think we started with puffs at about 6-1/2 months. Just keep an eye on the girls while they’re first starting out – I found that cheerios don’t dissolve very well so we started with puffs and they STILL love them!!!

Get one container and just try them - f they're not ready, they'll tell you by making faces and gagging :D

P.S. mine are 10 months on the 10th and still don't have teeth.

3. Kyrstyn

Do you just reach in there and grab them when they are gagging or do you have to do the heimlick (sp?) of some sort?

4. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Sometime around 6-7 months based on the rave reviews here. They dissolve really easily.

5. Chase&Parker's Mommy

Chase&Parker's Mommy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kyrstyn @ Jul 8 2008, 05:00 PM) [snapback]866376[/snapback]
    Do you just reach in there and grab them when they are gagging or do you have to do the heimlick (sp?) of some sort?

The puffs (not cheerios) dissolve soooo easy, you don't have to worry about it. If they're doing fine on solid baby food from the jar, I'd say give it a try... good luck, its fun to see their faces when they try something new, isn't it?

6. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

You could try and see how they do, but personally my boys were not ready for puffs at 6 months.

We just started them (I tried earlier, but they weren't really interested) about a week ago, and they are doing pretty well with them now.

I am really worried about choking too, and the puffs are great because they really do dissolve easily.

Good luck! :)

7. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

mine were 8 months when i first gave them puffs--i too was freaked about choking, but they really do dissolve quickly.

8. DavisDivas

DavisDivas Well-Known Member

I think I started giving mine puffs at about 7 months. If they have been on food for a couple months I would go for it. Mine took awhile to warm up to them though and even now kinda gag every so often if they shove too many in their mouth. They dissolve pretty fast though so they either cough them out or sometimes I have to swoop my finger in there. Good Luck :)

9. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We started giving them puffs around 7 months. Katelyn did not have any teeth until she was almost 9 months old. She had no problem eating them. Cheerios on the other hand took a lot longer to disolve and made me more nervous than the puffs. Good luck.

10. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

i started at 7 months, but i broke them into pieces - and still do. i'm SUPER paranoid!

11. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

We started with puffs at 7 months. I bought the beech nut brand bananna ones and tore them in half. Nathan took right to them (he is just now getting teeth at 10 months old). Natalie took a while to warm up to them. She had bad reflux so I think that had something to do with it. If a baby is choking, then you just pat them on their upper back and the food will come back up.

12. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I just started puffs a few weeks ago. We graduated to cheerios this week. :) (Since Maia doesnt eat any of it lol she just holds them)

13. Kyrstyn

I went and got some and gave them a try! Both of the girls took to them right away, and even picked them up off the tray (with their thumb and index finger) and fed themselves!! :clapping: I am so proud! :wub: Thanks for all the feedback!

14. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

Wow pincher grip already!! thats great!

15. kenny&sammie

kenny&sammie Well-Known Member

We gave them at 7 months and by 8.5 months we moved to cheerios, which they love. I'm glad they like them!!

16. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I jumped right in today... mine are 7.5 months (born 4 weeks early) have been eating early since 4.5 months. I had given them a half cherrios the other day and fun to see them crunch. Today a small small piece of ham, I had some coconut cream in the fridge I tried, I was eating some salami and gave them a bit of that, I was making soup and gave them some green onion to chomp on while I cooked... it was just over the top. I'm not sure if we have puffs here in Australia, I don't think so.

Funny for supper they had a stage 2 meal (chicken with sweet potato) both of the girls found the couple of peas in the meal -- the only lump in the dish and spit them out.

Heather

17. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

Great Post and replies.. I was curious myself. Thanks. :D