When did you start giving your children popcorn

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by thetaphi_62, Nov 10, 2008.

1. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

I love popcorn, but have not had it (or have consumed in secrecy at night) since the boys were born. I know that it is a real choking hazard. What are the guidelines that you follow when it comes to popcorn?

Just curious when I can "come out" with my popcorn snacking?

2. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I don't think we tried it until they were well into three.

3. PurpleNurple

PurpleNurple Well-Known Member

Oh mine ate it when they were around 2 or just before. They can't talk about going to Grandpa and Grandma's house without talking about watching a movie and eating popcorn in their Theater Room. They love it too....never had any issues, maybe just interesting poop! LOL!!

4. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Try the Pirate's Booty or Veggie Booty. No hulls. We did these at about a year. Real popcorn they have had a few times, starting at 2.5, but under VERY watchful eye. They aren't big fans of popcorn, they prefer trail mix.

5. Stellaluna

Stellaluna Well-Known Member

My guys were eating the Pirate's Booty and Veggie Booty before
    three, and I held off giving them popcorn until they were a few
    weeks into being three; I am really cautious though; choking
    scares the bejeezus :shok: outa me.......

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We started it about 22 months. They love popcorn.

7. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I can't remember, but they love it!

8. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I love popcorn as well. We started at about 22 months here. I never use the cheap, generic stuff though because it always seems those are the worst with the hulls and the little shell thingies (are those the same thing?? I'm not "up" on my popcorn vocab!) I would pop a single serve bag and divy it up between my three and just try to make sure I only give them the fully popped ones, and I also checked for excessive "shells". It's been almost a year since they first had it and I'm not nearly as cautious as I used to be. We haven't had any issues - knock on wood. My kids LOVE popcorn!! The single serve bags divided among my three kids is still enough to satisfy each of them.

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

probably around 2 ish or so...they don't get it all the time but will snack on it if we have some...

10. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Mine were younger than 2, maybe around 21-22 months. They got it at daycare and LOVE it! I know Cheetos makes a puff corn, that tastes like it but doesn't have the hulls.

11. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

My girls had it for the first time a couple of months ago. Now every time I make it they devour it!

12. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

My girls didn't have it until closer to 2 1/2 or 3. My son had it before 2 maybe around 19mths or so but he has only had it about 3 times and before he gets a piece I check his to make sure it's fully popped and he gets one piece at a time. I did that with my girls too until they were about 4. Now I just make sure the unpopped popcorn is out of the bowl and watch them carefully. There is no fooling around when eating pop corn, you sit and eat if you get up and walk around you are done.