When did you start giving cheese/dairy/milk etc?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sbcowell, Sep 14, 2008.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I have heard of people giving cheese and yogurt to babies under 1 yr old for snacks and such - but I thought they weren't suppose to get milk until 1 yr? When did you start giving cheese and yogurt?

2. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I know my pedi said they could start yogurt and cheese around 9-10 months. A lot of people do yo-baby since it is more gentle on little stomachs. With DD's reflux and DS still on soy formula we haven't ventured into this area yet but hopefully on our one year checkup we get the all clear.

3. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I started all of these things at 6 months, no problems. I never understood WHY people said "no milk".. I always assumed that meant "formula, not milk.'' I don't know but things have been fine over here :)

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I want to say 6 months. We too have had no problems over here either. They LOVE cheese! Yogurt-depends on the day...Mac-n-cheese is a FAVORITE. Do what you feel comfortable with!

5. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

We started cheese, yogurt, and other processed dairy products between 8 and 10 mos. They are easier to digest because the lactose is already partially broken down. Straight milk can be hard on their little tummies. Also, formula/breast milk has alot more nutrition per ounce than regular cow milk does. That's always been my understanding of it anyway.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

The reason is that milk is really hard on their kidneys/stomach. Once it's processed in yogurt, cheese etc, it's fine.

I'll probably start at 8 months.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Our pedi gave us the ok for cheese and yogurt after 9 months. The proteins in these are more broken down and easily digestible compared to straight whole milk, so thats why you can start them earlier.

8. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

Please just be careful, and start dairy slow, and watch for signs of reaction (hives, swelling, eye rubbing, difficulty breathing...)

Just a few weeks ago, we gave the boys some rice cereal that had milk protein in it. We ended up taking AJ to the hospital for an anaphylactic reaction to the milk. We have now met with an allergist, and we need to become a dairy-free household due to the severity of his allergy.

Anyhow, I know this doesn't affect most of you, but I thought I'd bring up that milk is one of the 'big 5' allergens, and the reactions to it CAN be life-threatening.

9. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We started with the Yobaby yogurt at 9 months. My girls are peanuts and I was anxious to give them some fatty foods. It's worked too, they've grown a lot since starting real food at 9 months.

10. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

We started at eight months :).

11. Lvdargan

Lvdargan Well-Known Member

When my twins were starting solds, the ped told me no dairy until 10 mths...but he said things have changed in 2 yrs and advised at Tylers 8mth appt to give everything but nuts and honey! No milk till a year though. Have fun!

12. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

8 months.

13. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(3greysandamutt @ Sep 14 2008, 08:56 AM) [snapback]979341[/snapback]
    Please just be careful, and start dairy slow, and watch for signs of reaction (hives, swelling, eye rubbing, difficulty breathing...)

Just a few weeks ago, we gave the boys some rice cereal that had milk protein in it. We ended up taking AJ to the hospital for an anaphylactic reaction to the milk. We have now met with an allergist, and we need to become a dairy-free household due to the severity of his allergy.

Anyhow, I know this doesn't affect most of you, but I thought I'd bring up that milk is one of the 'big 5' allergens, and the reactions to it CAN be life-threatening.

How scary for you guys! Wow, a dairy-free household - I'm so sorry to hear how severe his allergy is. :( I hope you are able to transition to a dairy-free house smoothly.

14. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I did yogurt around 7mo because my girls each had an ear infection and I am weird about antibiotics. I gave them cheese around 8-9mo, which one did not like at first but now she does. We have grilled cheese for lunch a couple times a week. And they tried egg yolks a couple weeks ago and they like them scrambled and french toast.

15. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

We started with yogurt around 8 months. Then I added cheese. The really love the yogurt. I buy the yobaby or if I can get to the health food store any yogurt made with whole milk with about the same amount of sugar (not hfcs). Anyway, I started giving them whole milk with their waffles and graham crackers and such over the last couple weeks to start getting them used to the taste. They both seem to like it ok. I give it to them in their sippy cups.