when did you start adding rice/cereal to the bottle?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jessben81, Jan 15, 2007.

1. jessben81

jessben81 Well-Known Member

My boys are getting close to 4 months old and I was just wondering if and when everyone else starting adding rice or cereal to their babies bottles. We are thinking of trying it with just their bed time bottle to start, but don't know whether or not it's too early.
    Thanks in advance!

2. jessben81

jessben81 Well-Known Member

My boys are getting close to 4 months old and I was just wondering if and when everyone else starting adding rice or cereal to their babies bottles. We are thinking of trying it with just their bed time bottle to start, but don't know whether or not it's too early.
    Thanks in advance!

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We add cereal to their bottles, but for reflux. We started doing it at 4 months per pedi. orders. Don't know if it helped with sleeping though, but it did help with spitting up.

4. ABeeCDandE!

ABeeCDandE! Well-Known Member

this may be pure coincidence....but we did it at EXACTLY 12 weeks and lo and behold, they started sleeping.

5. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

The recommendation is to not put rice cereal in the bottles unless your doctor wants advices you to for reflux, otherwise you should feed rice cereal from a spoon starting at 4-6 months

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

We started adding it to my ds' bottle at 5 weeks or so, but also due to reflux. It has not influenced his sleep, so I wouldn't get your hopes up on that. My ped says "sleeping comes from the brain not from the stomach".

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Never! We went the medicine route when it came to reflux. If you are interested in starting cereal at 4 months, talk to your ped., but it should be from a spoon. Right before bedtime can often cause an upset stomach.

8. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

Shhhh...it's a secret...I started right at 2 months [​IMG]

I did tell pedi, she said alot of parents do but they don't "recommend" it as it may lead to allergies. I did even earlier w/ my singletons (waited that long w/ these cause Joseph had constipation issues and rice cereal tends to exaserbate (sp?) those)

We didn't do the bottle route for very long (about a week) then gave it to them too thick for the bottle.

9. txtwinmom2b

txtwinmom2b Well-Known Member

I'd probably ask your pedi first, but we were advised not to this with my first daughter. I don't plan on it this time around. I plan on giving them cereal by spoon when they're about 6 months or so.