When did you introduce sippy cups?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ca2pa2005, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

My girls are coming up on six months here and I am wondering when I should introduce a sippy cup to them. Curious to know when you did and what you started with. I was just planning on starting with water. Anyone give them juice this young?

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I was planning on waiting until 9 months or so myself. Annalise holds her own bottle, but Nikola doesn't. She could probably start a little sooner, but I figured I'd start them together. HTH :) .

3. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I started around 6 months with a small amount of water in the First Years take n toss cups. They don't have a valve so the liquid drips out and I personally think it aided in teaching them.

We only did small amounts of juice if they were having pooping issues. Even now, they get juice only on special occasions at parties, etc.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

Right around 6 months! We started with water, and they chewed on them until about 9 months, when they finally got the hang of it!

5. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

I second using the First Years Cups. They are easy for the baby to learn to use. I gave mine sippies at 6 months old. I put a tiny bit of juice mixed with water and they got it after the first couple of tries.

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My babies are breastfed and never took a bottle. I gave them their first sippy at 5 months with a little water - it was 8 or 9 months when they actually drank to quench their thirst from them - up until that point I think they were more of a chew toy!!
    I tried juice at about 6 months (1/2 juice 1/2 water) but around Ava's mouth broke out so I stopped. I tried it again the other day - they threw the cups off of their highchair tray. I bought this stuff Gerber Splashers it is fruity water and they like it pretty well - to me it is not as good! the juice tastes better but they like the Splasher stuff!!

I third the first years take and toss cups!! they are GREAT!!! I have probably 25 expensive sippy cups - I bypass all of those and go straight for the wonderful take and toss cups!! I wish I had never bought all of those other cups they just take up space in my cabinet!! valves are awful plus the take and toss are easier to drink from and if we loose one - it's not that big of a deal!!!

7. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I did them at 4 or 5 months when we started solids. We just did a bit of formula at first to get the idea of that is what they do (drink). They got it right away but play with them more often. I bought all the fancy cups but too switched to the first years plain sippy cup because they could drink more and not get frustrated trying to figure it out. Now they just get a tad bit of water just to practice. No juice unless they have constipation. If it is hot out they do get water.

8. JenniferZ

JenniferZ Well-Known Member

I tried at 6 mo, but they were not interested at all. I just got them out again at 8 mo. Now that they eat every two hours (bottles, then 2 hours later solids), I give them some juice (1/2 water, 1/2 juice) to "wash down" their food. THey do not hold the cup though, neither do they hold bottles yet. DS still not interested in sippy cup. DD will drink a whole cup of juice, but won't hold it...yet

I like the Nuby sippies (Walmart), they are more like bottles as far as how the liquid comes out (no valves).

9. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I started a few weeks ago. I got the Nuby sippy cup and they like them so far. Because the spout is soft, it's more like a bottle. Also, they can hold them better because of the handles. I just put water in them for now. They do tend to play with them more than anything, but DS 'gets' that there's water in it.

10. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

we started w the nuby's at around 6 1/2 months, w water and they loved them right away. i still only use it for water after their solids meals

11. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

We use the Nuby cups too, I started offereing them with meals around 6 months, like pp's they just played with them until about 8 months when now they drink out of them. They maybe get 1-3 ounces of water throughout the day. Soon we will start the transition of formula in the sippy cup with meals instead of bottles after meals.

12. tater

tater Active Member

My kids are just 6 months and I have begun giving them a sippy after they eat their solids. They can pretty much get it in their mouth, but aren't really drinking yet. I figure they will get it sooner or later. Like pp said, I just give water unless they are having a pooping problem then I put a little apple juice in there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Sandi

13. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becky5 @ Jun 20 2008, 01:00 PM) [snapback]836438[/snapback]
    Right around 6 months! We started with water, and they chewed on them until about 9 months, when they finally got the hang of it!

Same here!