When did you introduce a sippy cup?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kellyx2, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

I know some people try at 6 months but I don't think my girls are ready.

Did you give water or juice in the cup?

2. Kellyx2

Kellyx2 Well-Known Member

I know some people try at 6 months but I don't think my girls are ready.

Did you give water or juice in the cup?

3. MommyMelissa

MommyMelissa Well-Known Member

I gave "watered down juice"!! I started out with two ounces at about 6 months. I did about half and half and mine drank juice like that until they were at least two. It makes your juice last longer and gives them the water they need too!! Good luck. [​IMG]

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Even though you don't think they are ready, it would not hurt to introduce it. I started off with just water. Now I do diluted juice for them. They still are not that great at drinking from them, but they are getting better. You may have to experiment with cups too. I don't think it would hurt to start now, even if they only take a few sips, it's practice and they'll get the hang of it faster.

5. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

I didn't introduce the sippy cup to my son until he was about 10 mo. We actually at first put breastmilk or formula in there until he was familiar with it. I found that the nubby cup were great transition cups since the nubby cups have a nipple like spout. We then went on to the gerber no spill cups. Don't expect them to be so taken with the cup in the begining. It will take awhile. I would introduce it first only one time a day and slowly work your way to the whole day. HTH!

6. LindyFrog

LindyFrog Well-Known Member

i got two nuby cups with handles on the sides and put ice cubes and a little water and let them have them when they are in their walkers. water dries, so no mess, and the cold helps with the teething. mine are only about a week older than yours, and they have had theirs for a few weeks now. they dont really drink yet...mostly gnaw and chew on the spout.

7. jennjenn770

jennjenn770 Well-Known Member

I started my girls at 6 months. They have been slow to take to it. A friend of mine suggested putting a tiny bit of apple juice in the water to give it taste. That seems to work for us. My one DD is just starting to show some interest (she chomps on the spout and occasionally takes a few sips) and the other DD is not interested at all.

Also, if you take the valves out it helps the liquid flow easier although, it does makes the cup drip.

I've heard others recommend the Nuby cups. I am going to try those to see if they like them better than the Munchkin ones I have been using.

8. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Are thesethe ones you all use? I got the avent ones for 5+ months and have only tried them once or twice w/ my girls and they didn't care too much for them.

9. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

We started at 6 months. Now, at 11 months, my girls are off bottles and only using the sippies. We started with the Nuby cups (bought at WalMart). Now they prefer ones with handles, and don't care that much whether the spout is soft or hard. I think the best ones are the Gerber, soft spout, with handles.

10. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by brandycaviness:
    Are thesethe ones you all use? I got the avent ones for 5+ months and have only tried them once or twice w/ my girls and they didn't care too much for them.

Yep, those are the ones I used. I also had the avent ones and tried them with my son (we use avent bottles so I thought that he would like them and it would be an easy transition) and he didn't take to them. HTH!

11. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

Great question Kelly! You ask a lot of questions that I'm also thinking about! THANKS!

12. LeslieLu

LeslieLu Well-Known Member

Even though I knew they weren't ready at 6 months I would give sippies to them when they were in their high chairs. Just water...I rarely rarely give them juice and even then it's 3 parts water, 1 part juice. It took them quite awhile to get the hang of it, but I still let them get used to them. We have the nuby's but they don't like them much...too much water comes out. They seem to prefer the gerber ones with the handles. So much new stuff your babies are about to start on..how fun!

13. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I am trying at 6 months but so far no luck. I think it will take some time.