When did you give your babies a "lovey" while sleeping?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jjzollman, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Just curious, as my 6.5 month old boys love the small, silky blankies - they cuddle with them, chew on them, etc. but I'm paranoid about giving them to them while they are sleeping b/c I worry they'll cover their faces up or something....I don't know. I know you are not "supposed" to give blankets or stuffed animals until babies are over 1-year-old - but I'm just curious as to when other mommies gave them to their babies while sleeping?

Thanks!

2. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

I only give them their softies, not sure if it's the same as what you are referring to. It's silky on one side and soft like a fur coat on the other?

They love rubbing them against their faces and covering their faces with it. It's light so it won't smother them and at 6.5 months they would be able to take it off their faces if they don't want it there. My babies don't sleep without them

3. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

That was the only way I could get one of my girls to sleep, so we did it. I think it's not as big of an issue the closer you get to one year, but I've seen people who have to make room for their baby in amongst all the toys in their crib, and that would make me nervous.

4. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We started using little lovies with stuffed animal heads at about 10 months. Mine have always slept with blankets, though, because they were swaddling freaks for the first 9 months of their lives. We never had any "close calls"!

5. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I gave my babies a lovey as soon as I stopped swaddling them at 5.5 months. They are very small, so I'm not worried about them smothering. They always seemed like they wanted to hold something. They are soft little bears that are holding little blankets.

6. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Mine don't have a special "lovey" but they like to hold on to a burp cloth when they take naps.

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

I think it was around 8 months for us.

8. jentwinmom

jentwinmom Well-Known Member

I am going to try not to give mine anything because I did with my son and at 6 years old he still carries his "pillow" around at home. He would take it to school if we would let him.

9. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I gave them as soon as I was confident that the babies could roll away from them, or at least move them away from their faces, so there was no risk of smothering. For Kevan, this was around 5 months, but Karina rolled very late, so she didn't have a lovey at night until after 7 months or so....

10. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls each get 1 doll or teddy bear to cuddle while they sleep. However, I won't let them have the teddy bears that have blankets attached because I'm afraid they'll put the blankets over their faces. I started letting them have 1 stuffed animal each around 6 months old.

11. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

I just recently let them around 6 months.

12. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine have had a small lovey to sleep with for about a month now and do fine with it-my dd always settles down and clings tight to hers, my ds could care less.

13. maurahursh

maurahursh Well-Known Member

My boys have a lovey. That is the only thing in their crib.

14. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

At about 6 months we started putting a little soft dinosaur in their cribs. They never touched it until about 10 months and now one will sleep holding his neck and the other could still care less.

15. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

We started giving a small blanket (very soft with satin edge, and very small) to them at about 4months old, they were both rolling, holding up their heads and could bat something off their face if it got stuck there. So, we weren't too worried about them. Now they really like them, they hold on to them and suck on them before they go to sleep at naps and at night. Altho, if they weren't there, I am not sure they would notice.

16. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

It was around 8 months for us.