when did they stop taking naps?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ddancerd1, Aug 30, 2010.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

mine have been boycotting them for a while (even marina, who was my better napper)... i'm hoping it's a phase, cuz i just can't give up yet!!! they just don't get the concept of "quiet time".
    give me ages when your's gave them up. thanks :)

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

3 years and 4 months. :cry: A very sad time in this household. :lol:

3. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My daughter still naps at school, but we don't have a "nap" at home on the weekends, although sometimes she falls asleep. I'd say Jake gave them up sometime in his late "2s"

4. Birchbeer6

Birchbeer6 Well-Known Member

Funny I was just going to ask this question, mine are 2 1/2 and DD usually naps now hour to hour and half..DS is always a good 2-3 hours....but past couple of days, Im lucky if there getting a full hour!!!!! I hope this is just a phase, cause if its not, its going to be pure hell!!!!lol....

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had to stop Emilie's naps at 3y2 months because when she napped she would not fall asleep at night until 10pm. It was much more important to me to have a decent bedtime than to nap. Once I took her nap away she was asleep withing 5-10 min. at night. :good: Trevor gave up his nap at 3y7m.

6. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Mine stopped at 2 yr 5 mo. Bedtime was getting later and naps after 1 hr of fighting it only lasted 30-45 min. So not worth it. I prefer my 12 hours of night sleep. We do TV time after lunch instead of naps. The only time they get TV and they just sit and watch it for an hour.

7. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My too still take an hour nap everyday and long on the weekends

8. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

A couple weeks shy of their 3rd birthday and boy was I sad when they were over. But they were staying up until past 10 pm and that was just no good. My DD1 on the other hand took naps until she went to KG at 5.5. I think some days she would nap now and she's 7.5. Heck, I'd love to nap now!

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine started to give them up around 3-3.5. At 3, they were still taking regular long naps. By 3.5, they weren't napping on weekends, but they still napped at school.

And a year later, that's still basically where we are! They could do just fine with a nap every 4-5 days or so, but as long as all their friends at school are napping, they're going to fall asleep too. :rolleyes: I wish they would give up naps! We're definitely at the point where the late bedtime (9:00 on a good night, 10:30 on a bad one) isn't worth the nap -- especially since I don't even benefit from the nap, since they take it at school!

10. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We had a very long transition period. They went through phases of refusing to nap and then going back to napping every day. Then, it went to napping 3-5 days/week around 3.5. That lasted a few months and then they dropped to napping once or twice a week. They quit altogether around 4.5 which was fine by me because I was completely done with the uncertainty of whether they would nap and be happy or not nap and be cranky or not nap and be fine with it. There are times when they need to go to bed a bit earlier than normal but that's how we handle it now rather than trying to get them to nap.

11. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My oldest two gave them up around 2.5 yrs each. My kids all sleep really good at night, so I'm sure the twins will be similar.

12. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Mine are still nappy and my oldest stopped around 3 because he was waking way too early. We did have quiet time though and when the twins stop napping, they will have quiet time as well.

13. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

One gave up at 3.5 on the nose and my other just stopped at 4.75 ....it was gradual for her too- dropped them slowly went from every day to every other and then 3 x a week.

They have always had and will have until school a rest time from 12:30ish-2.

14. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

EXACT same situation for us!

15. jqp23666

jqp23666 New Member

My girls are 3 years and 4 months. They still nap 1-3 hours depending how much morning activity they have had. Hopefully it will continue until kindergarten:)

16. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

Just after their 2nd birthday one of my DDs started talking during her entire nap. At first I was anxious about it but soon realized that night time was much easier when she didn't nap. I still put them both down at the same time and they get their nap period, whether or not they sleep. I still have one good sleeper but had to cut their nap down to an hour recently because one started waking in the night; so far so good. As long as they are happy playing in their crib in the dark room they are good. Its still a good rest period that we all need! :)

17. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine all gave up naps around 2. The longest any of them ever napped was about 2 years 3 months. I never had big sleepers.

18. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Mine will be 5 this month and still nap every day. I did have to adjust their schedule quite a bit to keep them napping. But, without naps, they were so cranky by 6pm that we were all miserable! We once again are struggling with naps, though, simply because I have to leave for work by 3:30 am they had been going down for a nap at about 2. We've moved nap time to 1, but they have a hard time with that and sometimes don't get a nap.

ETA: On the days that they don't nap, my mom (who babysits for me) can tell without me telling her!

19. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

pretty much the second they came out of the womb. Once their eyes opened on the day they were born they have very rarely closed and when they do they don't stay closed for long or at the same time, so I am not sure that I would ever consider any of that time a true nap. If these two are asleep it is either in the wee hours of the morning and we are all asleep or they are sick. sleep has never been either of their specialties. Oh and I better not close my eyes for one second during the day either - if I do my whole kitchen will be painted in butter or they will style the guinea pig's hair (and the ottoman) with hair gel and nail polish.

:silly: :silly: all the time at my house!

20. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Heather that would drive me nuts.

A&R still nap M-F at daycare, on the weekends they don't nap. In fact, Tuesday A was so tired in the morning, she took a morning and afternoon nap at daycare.

21. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

I'm dreadding the day they climb out of the crib just for this very reason!!! Usually mine nap for about 2 1/2 hours without a problem, but that is because they are in the crib! I can't imagine what it would be like to try to make them stay in their bed! DS goes to sleep without a problem, but ddtalks, and talks..or has a little bit of drama...until she falls asleep.
    And when I read about kids going to bed at 10 pm!! :headbang: I am in bed by 9! :lazy:

22. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

Today :headbang:

23. Brooklyne

Brooklyne Well-Known Member

Mine are 2 years 3 months and they don't nap anymore. They went from being the best nappers and sleepers to giving it up overnight. They sit on the couch in front of the t.v for about 30 mins. That's all I get! the good ole days are over. And they are very busy in programs and active so I just don't get it.

24. 40+mom

40+mom Well-Known Member

Ours napped until about 3.5 years. And at 3 and 3.25, still REALLY needed the naps. I do remember that several times they went on nap strikes (between 2.5 and 3.5, but we were consistent about naps and they went back to napping).

Then, the bedtime started to become too late and ridiculous, so we eased them out of naps and into an hour of "quiet time" in their rooms. Sometimes, they would fall asleep during quiet time, sometimes not. Now, at 4.5, napping during quiet time is rare, but it still happens from time to time (after a particularly busy stretch of days, or a later night or something.) I do find that the hour of quiet time each day is needed, whether we do in after lunch or before dinner. Otherwise, there are melt downs (sometimes I am the one melting down!)

We did have to move bedtime up (7 or 7:30) on days when they did not nap.

Good luck!

Meg

25. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

The girls napped through three years of age and at four would sometimes not nap at all...but we kept a "rest time" so they could read quietly in bed, chat quietly, but it gave me a precious 30 minutes-hour to get things done!

26. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Still napping at 3 years and 4 months. They nap about an hour at school during the week, and between 2- 3 hours on the weekends. Sometimes they skip naps by talking, playing, etc., but that's rare - probably once every few weeks. The rest of the time they really need a nap, and still sleep from 7:30pm - 6:30am.

27. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Still napping at 2.5... we've had periods when they didn't nap much but we kept putting them down and now they're back to taking 2-3 hour naps. Of course bedtime is later than we'd like now but they are awful if they don't nap.

28. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

yeah, now you know what is wrong with me! :laughing:

29. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

Exactly the same for us too!!!

30. twinfinite

twinfinite Well-Known Member

my boys stopped napping regularly at 20 months. they were never good "nappers" though. the longest they ever napped was almost 2 hours, and this was such a rarity that i think i must have somehow just dreamt this occurred on a few lucky occasions.

i was concerned about their lack of napping but our pediatrician said that most children stop napping somewhere between 2 and 3 years of age. he mentioned it isn't an ideal situation, but the boys sleep enough at night (11-12 hours! give or take a half hour) so they are sleeping enough.