when did night time sleeping start getting better?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by slr814, Feb 14, 2009.

1. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

My babies eat every 2-1.5 hrs and it takes them about 40 mn. to both eat. I am not sleeping much as a result. My DD was FF and these are breast. Please tell me this doesn't go on for months! Other than having to eat all the time they are pretty good sleepers.

2. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

Mine were bottle fed (BM supplemented with formula), and would eat around the same time frame as yours. It started getting better for us at about 2.5 - 3 months, when my daughter started going longer at night without food, and often slept through, and my son got it down to one 2am feed and then stopped a couple weeks later. We haven't fed them at night at all since they were 3.5 months old, which made life a lot easier on us. We still get up periodically, but its only for a couple minutes here and there, and never to feed. Hang in there, the first few months are definitely the hardest, but time will go by quicker than you think.

3. ClareWheeler

ClareWheeler Member

Hi,
    My twins are almost 3 months old and it is starting to get easier now. Most nights my DD only gets up for one feeding, my DS on the other hand loves to eat and wakes up a few times still. Mine woke up every 2 hrs or so at first, try to feed them both when one wakes up bc otherwise you really won't get much sleep. The feedings will get faster and be fewer soon!! Stick with the breast feeding if you can (I had mastitis 3 times so we stopped) and try to get them to tandem feed bc that will make your life alot easier.
    Good Luck!

4. HurleyBeeGurlie

HurleyBeeGurlie Well-Known Member

Im having the same problem. Mine are eating every 1.5-2 hrs and its KILLING ME! Im out on maternity leave but when I go back to work its really gonna kill me. I got one thats realllllllllllly fussy and the other is like more mellow. The one likes to be held so we are trying to get her out that habit. But sometimes its easier to just PICK HER UP so I can get an hr sleep u know.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

it was around 3 months for us as well. :hug: hang in there! those first weeks are so tough.

6. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

:hug: Mine have always eaten (breastfed) every 1.5-2 hours. Once in awhile I can get them to 2.5 hours but they're usually screaming by then. I wonder if we'll ever get to 3 hours. The good news is that since they were just a couple weeks old they cluster feed from like 5:30-9pm or so like crazy. I seriously just would sit down and nurse for hours in the evening (watched a lot of movies and all my favorite tv shows!). I still do but I get more breaks now. ;) Thanks to the cluster feeds they were sleeping 4-5 hour stretches at night before a month old. Other than serious growth spurts they only eat once or twice a night now and have for a long time. Try to get them to cluster feed in the evenings. It really helps them tank up for the night.

7. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Generally between 2.5 months and 3 months, babies will start to space out their nights...as long as they know nighttime over day time. You just have to make sure you make nighttime obvious and they'll adjust. I mean by turning down lights and talking softly. If they wake up wanting their food then try to distract them by rocking, paci, shushing, etc... then give them their bottle after a little while. They'll catch on and before you know it, they are sleeping 5+ hours through the night! By 3 months, mine were sleeping 7 hours, then by 3.5 months, mine were sleeping the full 10-12 hours uninterrupted! This get a little messy after 5 months because of some major growth and developmental spurts, but they'll go back to their long nights after a while. But for now, just aim for 2.5 months where you can get them to sleep a little longer through the night. Mine were also FF. It can take a little longer for a BF baby to sleep through the night, but at least nightly feedings will be fewer and you can sleep more through the night.

8. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

We slept in shifts the first 6.5 weeks. After that we didn't need to sleep in shifts b/c they slept longer stretches. :hug: to you!

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You are in the thick of it right now. Ours started gradually sleeping longer over time until they were sleeping 10-12 hours at 10 weeks old. Hang in there!

10. dallasm

dallasm Well-Known Member

Mine were doing that and are formula fed. I then switched their formula as they were grunting on hours on end. Now they sleep 3 hours. I agree with others when you need to wake the other one to eat or you will be getting no sleep! It hasnt gotten easier, i have just become more used to the sleep situation. i am hoping like the others said that it will change around 3 months. one more month to go! I also have to go back to work next month and am not sure how that is going to work! people will just have to get used to me being sleep deprived!

11. clb8899

clb8899 Well-Known Member

My girls are almost 10 months old & still only sleep through the night occasionally. It only takes a bottle to put them back to sleep, but still. I'm so ready to sleep through the night. Why aren't they?!?! I wish I had better news.

12. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine ate like that for about 2 months and then they gradually started stretching it, but not by much. Hang in there.