When could strangers tell you were pregnant?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Beth*J, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

When did strangers start to notice you are/were pregnant? I am 17.5 weeks along and I got the strangest look from the lady at Wal-Mart when I went to start a baby registry yesterday. I am in maternity clothes (and have been for 3 weeks or so). DH and I can definitely tell, but if a stranger even notices, I think I just look a little thick around the middle. People who do know I'm pregnant keep telling me I need to put on more weight. I don't think so. I'm eating well and my doctor has been pleased with my progress. I'm not anxious to be huge and uncomfortable, I'm just wondering if it is going to hit me all at once.

ETA: I'm trying not to lift heavy stuff, so I ask for help loading softener salt into my cart and car when I buy it. People always look at me strange when I ask and I always feel like I need to explain that I'm pregnant. They seem like they don't buy it and that I'm probably just lazy. :rolleyes:

2. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

My pharmacist asked when I was due at 9 weeks (she was filling a zofran script after filling fertility drug scripts for months on end)

Complete and total strangers began asking around 14 weeks.

Now everyone I meet asks.

3. monik

monik Well-Known Member

It seemed to hit me all at once. I woke up one morning and there it was. I'm only 24wks. but I appear to be past due.

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I think I was close to 20wks before a stranger asked about when I was due. This is my first pregnancy and everyone says with the first it takes longer to 'show.' And some people say they wake up one day and have 'popped' but I think it was over the course of a week that I popped. As long as your doctor is comfortable with your weight gain, I wouldn't worry about it!

5. camdensmommy

camdensmommy Well-Known Member

I think it was around 20 weeks- when people noticed I was pregnant- and not just fat/chunky, ha ha ha. But now at 25 weeks I feel huge and am getting somewhat uncomfortable! I wouldn't worry either- it will happen soon enough- and I agree with you, enjoy it while you can!!! Everyone askes when I am due now- and telling them January gets such shock out of them!

6. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

People could definitely tell by the time I was 20 weeks.

7. Cynthia3200

Cynthia3200 Well-Known Member

I am over 23 weeks pregnant and I'm measuring 33 weeks and I haven't had ONE stranger ask me or mention anything about the pregnancy -shrugs- I guess people just don't care in the area I live in.

8. Kimkessenich

Kimkessenich Well-Known Member

Rumors actually started flying around where I work when I was only 8 weeks so I decided to tell my boss. By the time I had my last day (at 28 weeks) people said I looked like I was ready to pop. I've been getting that comment from people ever since...neighbors keep asking my husband if I've delivered yet. It's funny because I don't go out too much and he's getting irritated with people making comments about my size to him. He said he wants to get a shirt that says, "My wife is not going to have our twins until November."

9. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

hi beth...

people in our work building started asking me about 3 weeks ago, when I was 10 1/2 weeks...but only because I used to have very flat belly and always wear pretty fitted clothes, so they could tell the bump.

me too I am not gaining much wait even though I eat more than before. pre-IVF I was about 115 and now at almost 14 weeks, I'm about 120, I asked also my OB and she said not to worry. everybody is different and not to listen to the books telling you how much you suppose to gain in each quarter, especially how much more with twins. she said if you eat well, healthy (the pyramid thing...) and also every 2 or 3 hours small meals too, it's fine. as long as babies are growing right and look good, so will you!

I would like to show a bit more soon though...I do have maternity clothes ready that I got from girls from craigslist in my area....most of them still look too large on me, so I wait.

alexa

10. navywife2bmom

navywife2bmom Well-Known Member

i was in the "is she fat?" stage until about 2 weeks ago.... so about 20ish weeks people could tell i was pregnant...

11. kjbruehl

kjbruehl Well-Known Member

I started really looking pregnant at about 10 weeks, however this is my 3rd pregnancy and since it's twins, I expected it. At my 12 week appt, I measured 18 weeks. People ask when I'm due and I laugh and say, "Not for a long time".

12. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

This is my first pregnancy and I dont think anyone who didn't know me could tell before 20 wks. And I had to be wearing tight clothing (not loose maternity clothes) for them to tell. It was winter and I would wear a lot of jackets so strangers barely noticed til about 24 wks.

13. coveytwins

coveytwins Well-Known Member

For me, people started noticing at a little after 20 weeks and it was because I was wearing tight fitting clothes. I'm 29 weeks now and am measuring a little small, so the only comments I get is that I'm too small for 29 weeks. Then I mention it's twins and they look at me like....are you sure. For me this is my second pregnancy so I thought I was showing early, but strangers don't know my body so I guess they had no clue. I still look as though I am smuggling a soccer ball under my shirt. I can't wear too many maternity tops yet, but hopefully soon. But maternity pants......thank God for size XS because even though i'm little I can't wear many regular pants and still breathe. LOL

14. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

You know, I think people are very afraid of asking if I was pregnant or just fat! :winking0009: I guess I was probably in my 7th month when people at the grocery store were asking! I could see a baby bump at Easter when I was about 5 months, more than just fat!

15. ferfischer

ferfischer Well-Known Member

This is my second pregnancy, and I don't think I started really showing until 24 weeks or so. Before then I just looked fat, kind of. I'm measuring a month ahead too. I just think I have "space" - I kind of carry "all over" rather than just in my tummy.

jenny

16. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

I could still hide it at 17 weeks... but at about 20 there was no hiding the fact that i was pregnant!

17. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

If it's any comfort I'm 30 weeks with one... I was at a party yesterday and after being there for like 2 hours or more, one of the guests- in talking with another guest- said, "she's pregnant? I didn't even notice." I feel like my belly is bigger than it was with my first dd (with her I looked about 7 months when I was full term) But everyone keeps telling me I'm really small. For my twins I probably looked about the size of a typical pg woman at full term. I attribute it to two things...1. I have a really wide pelvis and my baby/ babies can just hide in there....2. I never had a large amount of belly fat prior to any of my pgs...so I didn't have as much of a pooch to push forward as some of my other mommy friends... So,yes, even at 30 weeks if I wore street clothes people would probably think that I am just a little thicker in the middle.

18. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Friends said they could tell much earlier but I had a stranger ask when I was due for the first time at 20 weeks. It does happen pretty fast.

One of my friends carried a singleton full term and when she brought the baby to church for the first time, people who had seen her every Sunday asked if she had adopted! They had no idea she was pregnant. She's a little overweight and I guess they just thought she'd gained a bit.

19. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I was showing a round belly by 14 weeks and needed to wear maternity clothes to be comfortable. I went from being flatter to being round and missed the chunky around the middle phase. Now there is no mistaking me being pregnant.

28 weeks
    g/g twins
    Heather

20. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I could still hide it around 17 weeks but once we hit 20 weeks there was no going back. Now I get a lot of:
    When are you due?
    Twins????????? You look great!!!!!!!!! (Thank God, because the first person who tells me the obvious and that I look big, on the wrong day, I might just punch them...)

21. betseeee

betseeee Well-Known Member

People started offering me seats on the subway around 13 weeks.